• Register to Access the Free Forums and 3 Free CEUs!

To view the content for the 3 free CEUs, please sign up today.

CLICK HERE TO REGISTER
  • Missing Access To A Course, Blitz or Exam? Have Technical Issues? Open a Help Desk Ticket
    Please Do Not Post in the Community About Access or Technical Issues
    CCO Business Hours for Help Desk and Coaching: Mon-Fri 9am-4pm Eastern

Resolved Thyroidectomy and Parathyroidectomy

Status
Not open for further replies.

SriR_76859

Free CPC Exam
Free CRC Exam
Free ICD-10-CM Exam
In an Outpatient chart , Patient had Thyroidectomy, right and parathyroidectomy in surgical history. In this scenario how to code?

Question, are you coding for the thyroidectomy and they have a past surgical history of a parathyroidectomy? The parathyroid are four glands that are situated on the thyroid gland and can be removed without removing the entire thyroid. If you're coding for the thyroidectomy that took place then you would have to indicate the type that was done. This is solely based off the information presented.

Question, are you coding for the thyroidectomy and they have a past surgical history of a parathyroidectomy? The parathyroid are four glands that are situated on the thyroid gland and can be removed without removing the entire thyroid. If you're coding for the thyroidectomy that took place then you would have to indicate the type that was done. This is solely based off the information presented.
No sir, both are in surgical history, I'm asking that can we code both E890 and E892 ? Or any specifications among this?

E89.0
Postprocedural hypothyroidism

E89.2
Postprocedural hypoparathyroidism

At least one study indicates that people can experience HPT and hypothyroidism at the same time & I do not see any excludes notes to prevent it.

I would have to ask if the patient had a prior history of these conditions before having surgical removal. If the patient had a situation where they had hypothyroidism but then also acquired cancer of the thyroid thus needing a total thyroidectomy then I would not call this post procedural hypothyroidism. I would query the provider if there was hypothyroidism or hypoparathyroidism prior to the surgery.

E89.0
Postprocedural hypothyroidism

E89.2
Postprocedural hypoparathyroidism

At least one study indicates that people can experience HPT and hypothyroidism at the same time & I do not see any excludes notes to prevent it.
Thank You

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back