• Register to Access the Free Forums and 3 Free CEUs!

To view the content for the 3 free CEUs, please sign up today.

CLICK HERE TO REGISTER
  • Missing Access To A Course, Blitz or Exam? Have Technical Issues? Open a Help Desk Ticket
    Please Do Not Post in the Community About Access or Technical Issues
    CCO Business Hours for Help Desk and Coaching: Mon-Fri 9am-4pm Eastern

Supervision And Interpretation

Status
Not open for further replies.

CCO_Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Tameka Duncan asked:

Good Afternoon. I am having a problem understanding how to deal with this. A pt. has an HSG done at another office other then the OB physicain. Does the OB office bill 58340 with no modifier for the catherization and intro of saline? Does the OB physician have to write a note even though he is not interpreting the results? The notes under this code says to also code 74740 for the radiological supervision and interpretation of the HSG.

Also; In this case would it be the radiologist who only who bills the 74740-26 if he is not employed by the hospital/ofice? If the OB physician owned the equipment and employed the person who interpretated it could 58340 and 74740 be billed with no modifier?

I am still kind of unclear on the whole supervison and interpretation concept.

Answer:

S&I codes are a multi code situation to tell the story of what was done. Sometimes one physician does both parts and therefore reports both codes. If your physician on did one part then just code that part. No modifiers are needed unless you also need to tell the story that your provider only did the professional portion (mod 26).

S&I can be very confusing - see this blog post with video for more info <https://www.cco.us/medical-coding-certification-training/>

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back