• Register to Access the Free Forums and 3 Free CEUs!

To view the content for the 3 free CEUs, please sign up today.

CLICK HERE TO REGISTER
  • Missing Access To A Course, Blitz or Exam? Have Technical Issues? Open a Help Desk Ticket
    Please Do Not Post in the Community About Access or Technical Issues
    CCO Business Hours for Help Desk and Coaching: Mon-Fri 9am-4pm Eastern

Someone Once Said That When The Md Gives Patient A Med Sample That Is Considered The Same As An Over The Counter Med As It Relates To Our Level Of Ris

Status
Not open for further replies.

CCO_Admin

Administrator
Staff member
CCO Admin asked:

HI All can someone clear this up for me. Someone once said that when the MD gives patient a MED SAMPLE that is considered the same as an over the counter med as it relates to our level of risk. I have not been able to find anything to prove or disprove that. Obviously that would fall under a low level of risk where an RX written or sent would fall under Moderate risk which could affect the level coded. Any input or resources. Thank you in advance

Answer:

I was able to get some information from Patti Frank who is joining us soon on the CCO Club as a SME. I am going to copy and paste her response here as it exactly on track with what I was thinking. Also; the article Jesus shared is something you can take to your provider.

_Alicia;_

_ I have never seen or heard this question before. So I have no resource to offer. All I have is an opinion. The fact that it is a sample does not make any difference to me. It would be classified the same as a script for the med would. If a script for a medication that is available over the counter is written (Omeprazole for the OTC Prilosec); I classify it as low risk. If there is prescription drug management such as multiple meds for chronic diseases taken on a long term basis or a narcotic; I count it as moderate risk. If it is a high risk med requiring intensive modification such as anti-virals; chemotherapeutics; some cardiac meds such as Tikosyn; lithium; I count it as high risk. The risk to the physician in my mind is the same whether it is issued by sample or by prescription. Just my opinion._

_ Patti_

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back