• Register to Access the Free Forums and 3 Free CEUs!

To view the content for the 3 free CEUs, please sign up today.

CLICK HERE TO REGISTER
  • Missing Access To A Course, Blitz or Exam? Have Technical Issues? Open a Help Desk Ticket
    Please Do Not Post in the Community About Access or Technical Issues
    CCO Business Hours for Help Desk and Coaching: Mon-Fri 9am-4pm Eastern

Resolved Lithotripsy Coding Dilemma.

ToniM_13794

CCO Club Member
BHAT® Cave
Medical Coding Blitz
ICD-10-CM Blitz
Am coding a sample case for a Bilateral Lithotripsy for a PT with Nephrolithiasis, using Flouroscopic guidance. Looking at code 50590 & am puzzled. Question: Is it appropriate to use an addl code for the guidance? There is no parenthetical note at the code. If so, what Path & Lab code should I use for this type of guidance? Also, am assuming I can use Modifier 50 to address laterality. Would appreciate any advice.

No, you cannot report 76998 (Ultrasonic guidance, intraoperative) or any other radiology guidance code with 50590 as Ultrasound Guidance Is Not Separate from Lithotripsy.

There is usually a code also note for things to be coded separately in CPT.

Cystourethroscopy and transurethral procedures include fluoroscopy when performed.

23. Fluoroscopy (CPT code 76000) is an integral component of all endoscopic procedures when performed. CPT code 76000 shall not be reported separately with an endoscopic procedure. (CPT code 76001 was deleted January 1, 2019.)

24. Cystourethroscopy and transurethral procedures include fluoroscopy when performed. CPT codes describing fluoroscopy or fluoroscopic guidance (e.g., 76000, 77002) shall not be reported separately with a cystourethroscopy or transurethral procedure CPT code. (CPT code 76001 was deleted January 1, 2019.)

https://www.aapc.com/codes/coding-newsletters/my-urology-coding-alert/procedure-focus-get-answers-to-your-top-lithotripsy-questions-156053-article

https://www.supercoder.com/coding-n...-not-separate-from-lithotripsy-163185-article

Back