• Register to Access the Free Forums and 3 Free CEUs!

To view the content for the 3 free CEUs, please sign up today.

CLICK HERE TO REGISTER
  • Missing Access To A Course, Blitz or Exam? Have Technical Issues? Open a Help Desk Ticket
    Please Do Not Post in the Community About Access or Technical Issues
    CCO Business Hours for Help Desk and Coaching: Mon-Fri 9am-4pm Eastern

Resolved Is a flex sig billable with destruction of anal lesions to check proximal bleeding?

LoganR_46098

Can we report a flex sigmoidoscopy CPT 45330 with CPT 46922 and 46910 if the flex sig was done to check for proximal bleeding? The patient has never had a screening study. I checked the CCI edits for these codes, and nothing jumps out as a bundling error. Our internal auditors are saying this is non-billable and seeing this as "accessing an anatomical landmark". Has anyone run into this before?

46910 - Destruction of lesion(s), anus (eg, condyloma, papilloma, molluscum contagiosum, herpetic vesicle), simple; electrodesiccation
BHAT-On.JPG

46922 - Destruction of lesion(s), anus (eg, condyloma, papilloma, molluscum contagiosum, herpetic vesicle), simple; surgical excision

45330 -
Sigmoidoscopy, flexible; diagnostic, including collection of specimen(s) by brushing or washing, when performed (separate procedure)

In my opinion the reasons these are not bundled is that the destruction of the lesions are technicly the outside of the body. The scope is not. You don't have to do a scope to the destruction proceedures. I would say though that the scope is a different distinct procedure so you could use a modifier. It is not easy when you can't see the op report of course.

That is what our team was thinking as well, just wanted to reach out for a second opinion. Thank you!
46910 - Destruction of lesion(s), anus (eg, condyloma, papilloma, molluscum contagiosum, herpetic vesicle), simple; electrodesiccation
BHAT-On.JPG

46922 - Destruction of lesion(s), anus (eg, condyloma, papilloma, molluscum contagiosum, herpetic vesicle), simple; surgical excision

45330 -
Sigmoidoscopy, flexible; diagnostic, including collection of specimen(s) by brushing or washing, when performed (separate procedure)

In my opinion the reasons these are not bundled is that the destruction of the lesions are technicly the outside of the body. The scope is not. You don't have to do a scope to the destruction proceedures. I would say though that the scope is a different distinct procedure so you could use a modifier. It is not easy when you can't see the op report of course.

Back