• Register to Access the Free Forums and 3 Free CEUs!

To view the content for the 3 free CEUs, please sign up today.

CLICK HERE TO REGISTER
  • Missing Access To A Course, Blitz or Exam? Have Technical Issues? Open a Help Desk Ticket
    Please Do Not Post in the Community About Access or Technical Issues
    CCO Business Hours for Help Desk and Coaching: Mon-Fri 9am-4pm Eastern

Resolved Global surgical indicator clarification needed

DaneskaS_78707

CCO Club Member
BHAT® Cave
ICD-10-PCS Blitz
Hello, I am having a hard time understanding the global surgical package indicator XXX. Per CMS coding manual, the global concept does not apply to XXX procedures. Then the manual says that Many of the XXX procedures have inherent pre procedure, intra procedure and post procedure work performed each time the procedure is completed. My question is since the global concept does not apply to these procedure, can an E/M code be billed on the same day as an XXX procedure without use of a modifier since global concept does not apply? What seems to be throwing me off is the inherent pre procedure, intra procedure and post procedure information. I appreciate any guidance on this. Thanks

the classification XXX (Global surgical rules do not apply) means that the service is truly free of global surgical bundling issues, and you can separately report services that you perform on the same date as the surgical procedure (such as E/M services). The 000 indicator applies to the date of the procedure only. Therefore, an E/M code can be billed on the same day as an XXX procedure without use of a modifier, as long as the E/M service is medically necessary and documented appropriately. However, you should always check with the specific payer’s policies and guidelines before billing both services.

Thanks for responding. One last question, the NCCI manual says that the inherent pre procedure, intra procedure and post procedure work shall not be reported with a separate e/m code. Would you know what e/m codes this statement is referring to?

It would be all E/M codes. If it starts with a 99 and is an E/M you can't use them together. (and get paid)

Back