• Register to Access the Free Forums and 3 Free CEUs!

To view the content for the 3 free CEUs, please sign up today.

CLICK HERE TO REGISTER
  • Missing Access To A Course, Blitz or Exam? Have Technical Issues? Open a Help Desk Ticket
    Please Do Not Post in the Community About Access or Technical Issues
    CCO Business Hours for Help Desk and Coaching: Mon-Fri 9am-4pm Eastern

Resolved E/M code for flu vaccine for Medicare patients?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RileighK_78039

My boss wants to have a “flu clinic” for his ALF Medicare and clinic patients. Would it be appropriate for our facility to code with a low level complexity E/M code (99211 or 99212) in addition to Z23 and G0008?

I will have Alicia chime in but I do not think an E/M code because there was no visit with the provider.

If other problems were addressed, then you would use an E/M with modifier 25. If no other problems were addressed, and an E/M code along with the flu shot codes were billed, that would be a problems that is the kind of issues CMS is looking for. But if a completely separate E/M service is performed, supported by the required elements for the level billed, and different diagnosis code, then you are absolutely justified in the E/M with mod 25.

Medicare Part B: Vaccine Coverage​

Medicare Part B provides preventive coverage only for certain vaccines. These include:

• Influenza: once per flu season (codes 90630, 90653, 90656, 90662, 90673-74, 90682, 90685-88, 90756, Q2035, Q2037, Q2039)
  • Pneumococcal: (codes 90670, 90732, once per lifetime with high-risk booster after 5 years)
  • Hepatitis B: for persons at intermediate- to high-risk (codes 90739- 90740, 90743-90744, 90746-90747)
Administration services for these preventive vaccines are reported to Medicare using HCPCS codes as follows:

• G0008 administration of influenza virus vaccine
  • G0009 administration of pneumococcal vaccine
  • G0010 administration of Hepatitis B vaccine
The diagnosis code to report with these preventive vaccines is:

• Z23 Encounter for immunization
Other immunizations are covered under Medicare Part B only if they are directly related to the treatment of an injury or direct exposure (such as antirabies treatment, tetanus antitoxin, or booster vaccine, botulin antitoxin, antivenin, or immune globulin)

Coverage of other vaccines provided as a preventive service may be covered under a patient's Part D coverage.

I will have Alicia chime in but I do not think an E/M code because there was no visit with the provider.

If other problems were addressed, then you would use an E/M with modifier 25. If no other problems were addressed, and an E/M code along with the flu shot codes were billed, that would be a problems that is the kind of issues CMS is looking for. But if a completely separate E/M service is performed, supported by the required elements for the level billed, and different diagnosis code, then you are absolutely justified in the E/M with mod 25.

Medicare Part B: Vaccine Coverage​

Medicare Part B provides preventive coverage only for certain vaccines. These include:

• Influenza: once per flu season (codes 90630, 90653, 90656, 90662, 90673-74, 90682, 90685-88, 90756, Q2035, Q2037, Q2039)
  • Pneumococcal: (codes 90670, 90732, once per lifetime with high-risk booster after 5 years)
  • Hepatitis B: for persons at intermediate- to high-risk (codes 90739- 90740, 90743-90744, 90746-90747)
Administration services for these preventive vaccines are reported to Medicare using HCPCS codes as follows:

• G0008 administration of influenza virus vaccine
  • G0009 administration of pneumococcal vaccine
  • G0010 administration of Hepatitis B vaccine
The diagnosis code to report with these preventive vaccines is:

• Z23 Encounter for immunization
Other immunizations are covered under Medicare Part B only if they are directly related to the treatment of an injury or direct exposure (such as antirabies treatment, tetanus antitoxin, or booster vaccine, botulin antitoxin, antivenin, or immune globulin)

Coverage of other vaccines provided as a preventive service may be covered under a patient's Part D coverage.

Thank you SO much Lori! I have no one else to discuss coding with so I really appreciate you and the community of CCO and the facebook groups you admin for taking the time to give me your valuable input and direction. I feel confident in the findings of my research, I will relay the information I have to my superiors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back