• Register to Access the Free Forums and 3 Free CEUs!

To view the content for the 3 free CEUs, please sign up today.

CLICK HERE TO REGISTER
  • Missing Access To A Course, Blitz or Exam? Have Technical Issues? Open a Help Desk Ticket
    Please Do Not Post in the Community About Access or Technical Issues
    CCO Business Hours for Help Desk and Coaching: Mon-Fri 9am-4pm Eastern

Resolved Correct Usage of AI and GC modifiers (Attending / Residence)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CCO_Bot

Automated Robot
Staff member
Question:
Nicki:

When is the proper time to use the GC modifier? I code for Inpatient Medicine doctors. I am aware that the initial admission requires an AI Modifier. When there's a resident with the Attending, the AI/GC is used on the initial as well. Do we use the GC modifier only for Inpatient follow up when the residence has seen and examined the patient? I know Medicaid does not use the GC modifier. What other insurances do not use this?

Answer:

Laureen:

I'm not really strong in my understanding of coding when it comes to residents so I reached out to my friend Suzan who is. Here's her reply.

<shauptma@wpahs.org> wrote:
When is the proper time to use the GC modifier? The GC modifier is applied to ALL services billed to Medicare and done by Residents. This would be used for both outpatient/inpatient services and also office services. I code for Inpatient Medicine doctors. I am aware that the initial admission requires an AI Modifier. When there's a resident with the Attending, the AI/GC is used on the initial as well. Do we use the GC modifier only for Inpatient follow-up when the residence has seen and examined the patient? If there is an appropriate note (along with an attestation) done by the attending physician, then the GC would be added to those services. I know Medicaid does not use the GC modifier. I don’t believe so. What other insurances do not use this?

Thank you,
Suzan Hauptman CPC, CEMC, CEDC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back