• Register to Access the Free Forums and 3 Free CEUs!

To view the content for the 3 free CEUs, please sign up today.

CLICK HERE TO REGISTER
  • Missing Access To A Course, Blitz or Exam? Have Technical Issues? Open a Help Desk Ticket
    Please Do Not Post in the Community About Access or Technical Issues
    CCO Business Hours for Help Desk and Coaching: Mon-Fri 9am-4pm Eastern

Resource Cardiac Catheterization Coding

Coding Cardiac Catheterization. First of all what is it? It is a diagnostic procedure.

Prior to 2011 you needed three pieces to code a cardiac cath:

1) catheterization code
2) injection (of dye) code – 1 or more
3) imaging code – 1 or more

Now we have things packaged up differently…

What you need to abstract:

1) congenital or not
2) which side of heart – right, left or both
3) any add on procedures

With the implementation of ICD-10 the description of codes became much more detailed to describe exactly what is being performed. Cardiac catheterization is one of the descriptions that changed to further detail exactly what is being performed during the procedure.

With the implementation of ICD-10 the description of codes became much more detailed to describe exactly what is being performed. Cardiac catheterization is one of the descriptions that changed to further detail exactly what is being performed during the procedure.

Hi Lori, I’m trying to locate the charts in the last video reviewing PCI. Where can I find them?

It is in the CPT in Medicine under Injection procedures.
After code 93533 as it is out of numerical sequence these codes 92920-44 see 92997-93005
It is 2-3 pages you can't miss it sorry I do not have a 2020 CPT at my disposal right now to tell you the exact page number unfortunately but if you still can't find it I will ask a CCO team member who has access to a 2020 CPT to get the exact page number for you as I have an older version & it is on page 644 in my CPT.

It is in the CPT in Medicine under Injection procedures.
After code 93533 as it is out of numerical sequence these codes 92920-44 see 92997-93005
It is 2-3 pages you can't miss it sorry I do not have a 2020 CPT at my disposal right now to tell you the exact page number unfortunately but if you still can't find it I will ask a CCO team member who has access to a 2020 CPT to get the exact page number for you as I have an older version & it is on page 644 in my CPT.
Found it. Page 684 in the 2020 CPT. Thank you

These videos above are glitching and only the audio plays on my computer for some reason (I tried both sets above), does anyone have a solution to this because I would really like to watch these or any videos you have related to cardiovascular coding as a CCO club member :)

Also, I noticed you have a video from 2011, are those codes still valid today in 2021?? Thank you, Nicole

They play fine for me.

You can find all those videos on YouTube try playing them from there perhaps.

Technical Problems Displaying or Viewing Content, Videos or Exams​

As for codes in YT videos you always need to check codes in videos on YT for any updates but the coding is usually the same because it is not time/cost-effective to check/update every video for every code for any updates.

These are all free resources I share if I feel there is still some relevance in a video.

All paid courses are updated yearly but YT videos are not.

Are all catheters considered indwelling urinary catheters? NHSN states an indwelling catheter is a drainage tube that is inserted into the urinary bladder through the urethra, is left in place, and is connected to a drainage bag (including leg bags), also known as Foley catheters.

What is not considered an indwelling catheter: Condom or straight in-and-out catheters are not included nor are nephrostomy tubes, ileoconduits, or suprapubic catheters unless an indwelling urinary catheter (IUC) is also present.

Back