• Register to Access the Free Forums and 3 Free CEUs!

To view the content for the 3 free CEUs, please sign up today.

CLICK HERE TO REGISTER
  • Missing Access To A Course, Blitz or Exam? Have Technical Issues? Open a Help Desk Ticket
    Please Do Not Post in the Community About Access or Technical Issues
    CCO Business Hours for Help Desk and Coaching: Mon-Fri 9am-4pm Eastern

Resolved Brain

MaryW_64032

Pt complains of dizziness and an mri of head is done. Findings generalize volume loss with sequelae of chronic microangiopathy

i can’t find how to code the sequelae. I have coded G93.9 and I73.9.

The ICD 10 book refers me to can you please tell me if the I73.9 is correct ?
I thought it would be small vessel disease 167.9?

Without seeing all the documentation it is just a guess as to peripheral or thrombotic so let's compare the codes so you can decide.

What is the meaning of chronic microangiopathy?

Microangiopathy is one of the major complications of diabetes mellitus. The small blood vessel changes affecting the retinal and renal vasculature are responsible for blindness and kidney failure. Microvascular pathology has also been assumed to play a role in diabetic neuropathy and in the so-called diabetic foot.

Defining Sequela​

ICD-10-CM says the seventh character S is “for use for complications or conditions that arise as a direct result of an injury,

For chronic microangiopathy, the ICD-10 index refers you to these codes.

ICD-10-CM Diagnosis Code I73.9
Peripheral vascular disease, unspecified

Synonyms
  • Claudication due to peripheral vascular disease
  • Claudication in peripheral vascular disease
  • Gangrene due to peripheral vascular disease
  • Intermittent claudication
  • Pain at rest due to peripheral vascular disease
  • Peripheral arterial insufficiency
  • Peripheral arterial occlusive disease
  • Peripheral artery disease
  • Peripheral vascular disease
  • Peripheral vascular disease, rest pain
  • Posterior tibial artery insufficiency
  • Tissue necrosis in peripheral vascular disease
  • Vascular insufficiency of limb
2023 ICD-10-CM Diagnosis Code M31.1
Thrombotic microangiopathy
What is Thrombotic microangiopathy?
Thrombotic microangiopathies (TMA) are clinical syndromes defined by the presence of hemolytic anemia (destruction of red blood cells), low platelets, and organ damage due to the formation of microscopic blood clots in capillaries and small arteries.

How is it diagnosed?​

TMA often present very suddenly and result in severe illness in many patients. Patients are often hospitalized at the time of diagnosis. Diagnosis requires blood tests to confirm red blood cell destruction, the presence of schistocytes on blood smears, and organ damage that can be attributed to the TMA. Typical organ damage includes very high blood pressure (malignant hypertension), kidney injury, abdominal pain, diarrhea, stroke, confusion, heart injury, and eye damage. Identifying the specific cause for TMA requires specialized blood and genetic testing to evaluate for the different causative diseases. Some of this testing can take weeks to months to return. Since treatment must be initiated immediately, it is important to have a team of doctors experienced in the diagnosis and management of TMA. A team at Johns Hopkins has developed a research test that may be capable of diagnosing TMA due to problems in the complement system (aHUS) within several hours.

Approximate Synonyms
  • Thrombotic microangiopathic
  • Thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura
Clinical Information
  • A disorder characterized by the presence of microangiopathic hemolytic anemia, thrombocytopenic purpura, fever, renal abnormalities and neurological abnormalities such as seizures, hemiplegia, and visual disturbances. It is an acute or subacute condition.
  • A kind of blood disorder that causes blood clots to form in blood vessels around the body
  • An acquired, congenital, or familial disorder caused by platelet aggregation with thrombosis in terminal arterioles and capillaries. Clinical features include thrombocytopenia; hemolytic anemia; azotemia; fever; and thrombotic microangiopathy. The classical form also includes neurological symptoms and end-organ damage, such as renal failure.
  • An acute or subacute syndrome characterized by the presence of microangiopathic hemolytic anemia, thrombocytopenic purpura, fever, renal abnormalities and neurologic abnormalities such as seizures, hemiplegia, and visual disturbances. Drugs and bacteria have been implicated as etiologic factors. The introduction of plasma exchange has significantly lowered the mortality rate. If untreated, the mortality rate is high.
  • Diseases that result in thrombosis in microvasculature. The two most prominent diseases are purpura, thrombotic thrombocytopenic; and hemolytic-uremic syndrome. Multiple etiological factors include vascular endothelial cell damage due to shiga toxin; factor h deficiency; and aberrant von willebrand factor formation.
  • The syndromes of microangiopathic hemolytic anemia, thrombocytopenia, and variable signs of organ impairment, due to platelet aggregation in the microcirculation.

2023 ICD-10-CM Diagnosis Code I67.89
Other cerebrovascular disease

Approximate Synonyms
  • Acute ill-defined cerebrovascular disease
  • Ill-defined cerebrovascular disease, acute
  • Necrosis of central nervous system due to exposure to ionizing radiation
  • Radiation necrosis of central nervous system (cns)
If you would like an instructor's input you are welcome to join the CCO Club.

Ready to Join the Premier Online Medical Coding & Billing Membership?​

For the past several years, we’ve been hearing the same challenges being repeated by our students over and over again. We decided to get to work on the challenges and we’ve been quietly working on a membership solution to answer all those questions and more. The result is the CCO Club, a place where medical coders, billers, auditors and practice managers can convene to discuss, learn and expand their knowledge.

Your Pass Into The CCO Club Includes…​

• Continued Access to All CCO Courses & Review Blitzes You’ve Purchased In The Past
  • Access to Monthly Q&A Webinars
  • Access to Student Q&A Webinar Replays
  • Access to CCO Club Q&A Webinar Replays
  • Access to the BHAT™ Cave
  • Ask for Help with Medical Coding, Billing, Reimbursement, Auditing, Risk Adjustment or Practice Management Challenges You’re Facing on the Job in our Private Community
  • Share Cases with Redacted Information for Community Members and CCO Staff to Answer
  • Many CEU Opportunities Available On Various Topics
  • Invitations to Select CCO Events
  • Invitations to Select Support Calls
  • Discounts on CCO Courses and Review Blitzes after 3 months of continuous membership.
  • Priority consideration for topic requests – your requests move to the front of the line!

Back