• Register to Access the Free Forums and 3 Free CEUs!

To view the content for the 3 free CEUs, please sign up today.

CLICK HERE TO REGISTER
  • Missing Access To A Course, Blitz or Exam? Have Technical Issues? Open a Help Desk Ticket
    Please Do Not Post in the Community About Access or Technical Issues
    CCO Business Hours for Help Desk and Coaching: Mon-Fri 9am-4pm Eastern

Resolved Biopsy clarification code

Status
Not open for further replies.

CCO_Bot

Automated Robot
Staff member
Question:

Darlene:

Here is a question from the Carol Buck practice exam and I got it wrong. 70-year-old male brought to the operating room for a biopsy of the pancreas. A wedge biopsy is taken and sent to pathology. The report comes back immediately indicating that primary malignant cells were present in the specimen. The decision was made to perform a total pancreatectomy. Code the operative procedure(s) and diagnosis only. Here are the choices A( 48100, 197.8 B) 48155, 157.8 C) 48155, 48100-51, 157.9, and D) 48155, 48100-51, 88308, 157.9. I chose B and it shows the answer as being C. I thought that biopsies were included in the total operative procedure, so why would it be added to this procedure code?

After posting this question on a forum I saw the rationale and it states that "Remember, on the certification exam third-party payer guidelines are NOT followed, so the biopsy is reported separately. I thought that biopsies were included in the greater procedure. Can someone please clarify this for me, I sit for my exam on December 8th and I do not want to get tripped up on something like this.

Answer Thread:

Laureen:

A) 48100, 197.8
B) 48155, 157.8
C) 48155, 48100-51, 157.9, and
D) 48155, 48100-51, 88308, 157.9

48100 - Biopsy of pancreas, open (eg, fine needle aspiration, needle core biopsy, wedge biopsy)
48155 - Pancreatectomy, total

Video Answer:

If you're interested in Findacode click this link

https://www.cco.us/findacode

Darlene:
Thank you so much for your quick response! I am sitting for my CPC in two weeks and as a matter of fact I have a telephone conversation with you tomorrow :) I don't know why I had thought that they were bundled into the operative codes. So, if there isn't a code that includes a biopsy, then I can code for the biopsy separately. I just want to make sure of this in case there are any questions like this on the exam and I will make a note in my book so that I don't forget :) You are such a lifesaver!

Laureen:
Hi Darlene,
They are not going to try to be that tricky. Things like the approach are bundled into the procedure - so you should know a laparotomy is bundled into an ovary removal for example. But things that would require CCI lookup will NOT be on the exam.

They are testing you on a general coding principles.

Remember don't over think things!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back