• Register to Access the Free Forums and 3 Free CEUs!

To view the content for the 3 free CEUs, please sign up today.

CLICK HERE TO REGISTER
  • Missing Access To A Course, Blitz or Exam? Have Technical Issues? Open a Help Desk Ticket
    Please Do Not Post in the Community About Access or Technical Issues
    CCO Business Hours for Help Desk and Coaching: Mon-Fri 9am-4pm Eastern

Resolved Alif co surgeon cases

DaneskaS_78707

CCO Club Member
BHAT® Cave
ICD-10-PCS Blitz
Hello everyone, I work for a cardiovascular practice and some of our vascular surgeon are co surgeons on ALIF procedures. I am a little confused what gets billed on the vascular side for the ALIF procedures. As I understand it the vascular surgeon is there for the exposure while the spine surgeons does disk removal and instrumentation. Our vascular doctor wants to get credit for the exposure part and the disk removal and instrumentation since he is in the room the whole time because he has to do the closure. Can some guidance be given on what our vascular surgeon can actually bill for?
Thank you.

I double checked with my peers and this is what Leslie & Marie said.
Leslie-He'll bill the 22551-22585 (anterior) depending on how many levels, of course as co-surgeon w/mod 62. -See if he'll be acting as assistant as well, sometimes they do, sometimes not if there's any addition 630xx codes for stenosis, then he could likely bill for that as well - again, as cosurgeon. Need to coordinate with surgeon's staff if possible.

Marie- For co- surgery- each surgeon bills the CPT w 62 modifier and documents hidden portion - Each surgeon documents the portion of the procedure he/she alone did- and each of the 2 claims gets paid 62.5% of the professional fee- they split the work of the CPT and split the fee (125% fee paid 2= 62.5% each).

It’s definitely crucial as Leslie suggests to know if the surgeon is assisting ( then he does not need to document- the primary surgeon would list him as the assist and you use 80 modifier and he gets 16% ) OR if he is actually performing part of the procedure himself ( usually a different specialty) as a co surgeon and then you use 62 and he gets 62.5%. I have had issues with some surgeons not documenting well and it’s undistinguishable what role they are playing.

Leslie- And by coordinating with the surgeon, you use their codes to the extent where co-surgery is allowed. Not all of the procedures performed allow it.

Susan- 2024 National Physician Fee Schedule Relative Value File January Releasetells you what kind of assist/2nd/co-surgeons are allowed for each CPT code.

Thank you for the information. One more question, the spinal surgeon already has an assistant that he names in his operative note. Our surgeon would like to be billed as a co surgeon for exposure for ALIF 22558 and assistant for 22845 when instrumentation is done. Could our vascular surgeon act as both a co surgeon and assistant on the same case Even though the spine surgeon already has assistants listed on his operative note and only mentions our surgeon as doing the exposure for the procedure? thanks

Marie stated:
If the surgeon lists the vascular surgeon as assisting in a separate particular procedure in addition to the CPT he is acting as co- surgeon he could be but the surgeon would have to list him as such and that is his evidence of being the assistant surgeon (80 modifier if MD/DO)If another billing assistant is listed then no- only the surgeon listed would bill.

Marie stated:
If the surgeon lists the vascular surgeon as assisting in a separate particular procedure in addition to the CPT he is acting as co- surgeon he could be but the surgeon would have to list him as such and that is his evidence of being the assistant surgeon (80 modifier if MD/DO)If another billing assistant is listed then no- only the surgeon listed would bill.
Marie stated:
She went on to add:
I should state also as best practice in the case of multiple assistants listed on the op note and present in the OR - only one should be designated as First Assistant for billing purposes- I have not seen a payer in many years pay for more than one. Assistant when the procedure allows. If multiple names are listed we need to know which one will be billing

Back