• Register to Access the Free Forums and 3 Free CEUs!

To view the content for the 3 free CEUs, please sign up today.

CLICK HERE TO REGISTER
  • Missing Access To A Course, Blitz or Exam? Have Technical Issues? Open a Help Desk Ticket
    Please Do Not Post in the Community About Access or Technical Issues
    CCO Business Hours for Help Desk and Coaching: Mon-Fri 9am-4pm Eastern

Resolved Acute bronchitis, chronic bronchitis and asthma

MaryW_64032

Hello for Acute bronchitis, chronic bronchitis and asthma
I am getting J209, J42 and j45.909
I am getting confused because you can pick chronic bronchitis and asthma and get a different code. Am I on the correct path with the 3 J codes listed?
Thank you

There is a coding clinic for this. Chronic bronchitis is a form of COPD.

AHA Coding Clinic® for ICD-10-CM and ICD-10-PCS - 2017 Issue 4; Ask the Editor​

Acute Exacerbation of Unspecified Asthma with Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease​

question
Coding Clinic, First Quarter 2017, page 25, advised that for a patient with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) with asthma, only code J44.9, Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, unspecified, was sufficient and that code J45.909, Unspecified asthma, uncomplicated should not be assigned as “unspecified” isn’t a type of asthma. Does the same hold true if the asthma is documented as an acute exacerbation?
answer
Assign codes J44.9, Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, unspecified, and code J45.901, Unspecified asthma with (acute) exacerbation, for documented COPD with acute exacerbation of asthma. Although code J45.901 does not represent a type of asthma, it does provide additional specificity regarding the asthma being an acute exacerbation.

or

Acute Exacerbation of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease with Acute Bronchitis​

question
The patient has an acute exacerbation of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), and acute bronchitis. What are the diagnosis code assignments?
answer
Assign codes J44.0, Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease with acute lower respiratory infection, J44.1, Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease with (acute) exacerbation, and J20.9, Acute bronchitis, unspecified, to fully capture the provider’s diagnostic statement.

Back