• Register to Access the Free Forums and 3 Free CEUs!

To view the content for the 3 free CEUs, please sign up today.

CLICK HERE TO REGISTER
  • Missing Access To A Course, Blitz or Exam? Have Technical Issues? Open a Help Desk Ticket
    Please Do Not Post in the Community About Access or Technical Issues
    CCO Business Hours for Help Desk and Coaching: Mon-Fri 9am-4pm Eastern

Resolved 99024 eligible for -FS modifier?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ViciM_12246

CCO Club Member
BHAT® Cave
Good Morning! Can I bill -FS, split/shared, modifier with a post-op service, 99024? Can you provide documentation or research info for this? Thanks,

This modifier is used to indicate the service was a split or shared evaluation and management (E/M) visit.

Correct Use​

• For E/M services split or shared between a physician and a non-physician practitioner (NPP) in a facility setting
  • Physician and NPP in same group

Incorrect Use​

• May not be used in an office or other setting outside of a facility setting defined as hospital or skilled nursing facility
Modifier FS will be used with claims for split (shared) visits performed in facility settings and split (or shared) critical care visits. Practices should not add the modifier to office or other outpatient visits (99202-99215).

Thanks Lori for the information from Decision Health. Do you have any information specific to this question for the 99024 code? Thanks for your help with this. Just trying to understand and provide information for my fellow coders.

It stated -Practices should not add the modifier to office or other outpatient visits (99202-99215).

It is a global single payment that is not shared.

Global payment policy for surgical procedures is a concept under which a “single fee” is
billed and paid
for services furnished by the surgeon before, during and after the
procedure.

99024 - Postoperative follow-up visit, normally included in the surgical package, to
indicate that an evaluation and management service was performed during a
postoperative period for a reason(s) related to the original procedure.
• Applies to surgeries with 90 and 10 day global periods.
• Indicates that a required postoperative visit has been provided.
Zero dollar amount associated with 99024. Payment has already been received
through the single global surgical payment.

• Does not require the same documentation requirements as standard evaluation and
management services. Documentation should describe the patient’s recovery from
the surgical procedure and continued treatment plan.
• Surgeons who do not provide the required postoperative visits must bill the
original surgery CPT code with modifier 54 - surgical care only. The physician
who takes responsibility for the postoperative visits would bill the same original
surgery CPT code with modifier 55 - postoperative management only

Thank you LORI! That meets the requirements my providers are looking for. Thanks for having my back!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back