• Register to Access the Free Forums and 3 Free CEUs!

To view the content for the 3 free CEUs, please sign up today.

CLICK HERE TO REGISTER
  • Missing Access To A Course, Blitz or Exam? Have Technical Issues? Open a Help Desk Ticket
    Please Do Not Post in the Community About Access or Technical Issues
    CCO Business Hours for Help Desk and Coaching: Mon-Fri 9am-4pm Eastern

Resolved Z23 unacceptable principal diagnosis

Status
Not open for further replies.

JenniferR_48596

CCO Club Prime
BHAT® Cave
PBC Course
MTA Course
Medical Coding Blitz
Free ICD-10-CM Exam
Cigna is denying our claims with Z23 as principal diadnosis. Patient was not seen for any other reason for the encounter and not a child (over 18). I read the guideline but not sure what to do next. Can you please me some direction on this?

Thanks

Z23 is not acceptable as a principal dx.

Use of Z Codes in Any Healthcare Setting Z codes are for use in any healthcare setting. Z codes may be used as either a first-listed (principal diagnosis code in the inpatient setting) or secondary code, depending on the circumstances of the encounter. Certain Z codes may only be used as first-listed or principal diagnosis.

Z23 is not on the list.

1.21.c.16

Screen Shot 2022-02-23 at 12.55.40 PM.png
Read more on this thread:

Please see this thread on denials as it may be payer specific:

Cigna is denying our claims with Z23 as principal diadnosis. Patient was not seen for any other reason for the encounter and not a child (over 18). I read the guideline but not sure what to do next. Can you please me some direction on this?

Thanks
Claim Denials are the huge issues these days, and it's a hectic process to recheck, finding errors and resubmitting them. My practice has outsourced it's AR recovery to Medcare, we just do normal claims in house.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back