• Register to Access the Free Forums and 3 Free CEUs!

To view the content for the 3 free CEUs, please sign up today.

CLICK HERE TO REGISTER
  • Missing Access To A Course, Blitz or Exam? Have Technical Issues? Open a Help Desk Ticket
    Please Do Not Post in the Community About Access or Technical Issues
    CCO Business Hours for Help Desk and Coaching: Mon-Fri 9am-4pm Eastern

Resolved Why are some CPT codes out of sequence? I'm having trouble finding some of them in the book.

SandraT_77547

Why are some CPT codes out of sequence? I'm currently searching for hernia repair codes (49591, 49615 & 49616 ) I can't find any of them in the book.

Placing codes out of numerical order allows for clustering of similar procedures, and can help the medical coder find exactly the right procedure code. These out-of-sequence codes typically have a note instructing the coder to flip to the correct code elsewhere in the book.

2023 CPT page 389 07 Digestive

Codes 49591–49596 and 49613–49618 describe repair of an anterior abdominal hernia(s) (epigastric, incisional, ventral, umbilical, spigelian) by any approach (open, laparoscopic, robotic). Codes 49591–49596 and 49613–49618 are reported only once, based on the total defect size for one or more anterior abdominal hernia(s). When both reducible and incarcerated/strangulated anterior abdominal hernias are repaired at the same operative session, all hernias are reported as incarcerated/strangulated.

Codes 49591–49596 and 49613–49618 are reported only once, based on the total defect size for one or more anterior abdominal hernia(s). In addition, the total hernia defect size should be measured before opening the hernia defect(s) because during repair the fascia typically will retract, creating a falsely elevated measurement. Hernia measurements are performed either in the transverse or craniocaudal dimension. The total length of the defect(s) corresponds to the maximum width or height of an oval drawn to encircle the outer perimeter of all repaired defects. If the defects are not contiguous and are separated by greater than or equal to 10 cm of intact fascia, total defect size is the sum of each defect measured individually. Without a total size indicated, coders may be inclined to report the hernia repair code for the smallest defect. Therefore, it will be very important to document the total defect size in the operative report so coders will know which code to select.

►Codes 49591-49618 describe repair of an anterior
abdominal hernia(s) (ie, epigastric, incisional, ventral,
umbilical, spigelian) by any approach (ie, open,
laparoscopic, robotic). Codes 49591-49618 are reported
only once, based on the total defect size for one or more
anterior abdominal hernia(s), measured as the maximal
craniocaudal or transverse distance between the outer
margins of all defects repaired. For example, "Swiss
cheese" defects (ie, multiple separate defects) would be
measured from the superior most aspect of the upper
defect to the inferior most aspect of the lowest defect. In
addition, the hernia defect size should be measured prior
to opening the hernia defect(s) (ie, during repair the
fascia will typically retract creating a falsely elevated
measurement).
When both reducible and incarcerated or strangulated
anterior abdominal hernias are repaired at the same
operative session, all hernias are reported as incarcerated
or strangulated. For example, one 2-cm reducible initial
incisional hernia and one 4-cm incarcerated initial
incisional hernia separated by 2 cm would be reported as
an initial incarcerated hernia repair with a maximum
• 49592 less than 3 cm, incarcerated or strangulated

• 49593 3 cm to 10 cm, reducible

• 49594 3 cm to 10 cm, incarcerated or strangulated

• 49595 greater than 10 cm, reducible
• 49596 greater than 10 cm, incarcerated or strangulated

#• 49613 Repair of anterior abdominal hernia(s) (ie, epigastric,
incisional, ventral, umbilical, spigelian), any approach (ie,
open, laparoscopic, robotic), recurrent, including
implantation of mesh or other prosthesis when performed,
total length of defect(s): less than 3 cm, reducible

49614 less than 3 cm, incarcerated or strangulated

49615 3 cm to 10 cm, reducible

49616 3 cm to 10 cm, incarcerated or strangulated

49617 greater than 10 cm, reducible

49618 greater than 10 cm, incarcerated or strangulated

Screen Shot 2023-03-06 at 10.24.41 AM.pngFigure 1 depicts measuring a single anterior abdominal hernia defect, such as an umbilical hernia.
Screen Shot 2023-03-06 at 10.24.52 AM.pngFigure 2 depicts measuring multiple anterior abdominal hernia defects. For example, Swiss cheese defects would be measured from the superior-most aspect of the upper defect to the inferior-most aspect of the lowest defect.

Screen Shot 2023-03-06 at 10.24.58 AM.pngFigure 3 depicts measuring remote abdominal hernia defects separated by 10 cm or more of intact fascia, such as a defect in the lower right quadrant from a prior open appendectomy and a separate hernia in the upper left quadrant from a previous laparoscopic port placement.

Thank you for your reply, it was very informative! I apologise for not responding sooner, for some reason I have been having issues with posting my reply.

Thank you for your reply, it was very informative! I apologise for not responding sooner, for some reason I have been having issues with posting my reply.
No worries.

Technical Problems Displaying or Viewing Content, Videos or Exams​

1. Technical Issues
As a modern web-based learning platform, CCO recommends the use of certain hardware, operating systems and web browsers to ensure the best learning experience. These include:
If you're running the recommended system setup above and continue to experience issues, please please try the following steps, in the listed order, to try and resolve your issue.
  1. Try resetting Chrome to it's default settings. This works 90% of the time. If not...
  2. Try a different browser to see if that works. Still not working?
  3. Try disabling any Anti-Virus or AntiMalware software. If it still doesn't work....
  4. Reboot the laptop/computer/tablet/smartphone. If it still doesn't work....
  5. Try using a different computer or tablet. If it still doesn't work....
  6. If it still doesn't work, go to a local library or Starbucks or another location that provides internet. (We do not recommend trying at work because workplaces tend to block many websites we use to provide content.)
One of these will eventually work.
If 2-5 is successful, there is something on your computer causing the issue.
If 6 is successful, there is something on your home network causing the issue.
If your problem is specific to exams being blank or white, please read this: Exam Area is White, Blank or Missing

Back