• Register to Access the Free Forums and 3 Free CEUs!

To view the content for the 3 free CEUs, please sign up today.

CLICK HERE TO REGISTER
  • Missing Access To A Course, Blitz or Exam? Have Technical Issues? Open a Help Desk Ticket
    Please Do Not Post in the Community About Access or Technical Issues
    CCO Business Hours for Help Desk and Coaching: Mon-Fri 9am-4pm Eastern

Resolved Vaccine/Toxoid question

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeatherB_67613

I'm going over a practice question I have and it has me a little confused and I was hoping someone could help me understand it a little better!

The questions states:
"A 5 year old boy was seen today for immunizations prior to beginning school. After counseling by the PA, he received diphtheria, tetanus toxoid, acellular pertussis, haemophilius influenza Type B, and polio virus as a single injection. Additionally, he received MMRV subcutaneously."

Now it says the answer to this question is:
90698, 90710, 90460, 90461, Z23.

My question is, when you have multiple vaccines that are given (with counseling) do you just code 90460 for the first vaccine and then 90461 for each additional vaccine? And then when you have just a single vaccine you would code each component of that vaccine, right? For instance MMR you would code 90460, 90461x2. Is my understanding of this correct?

You only code the components of a vaccine when there is a single vaccine being administered, right?

Thank you!

Here are some helpful videos CCO did on vaccine coding

Vaccine administration coding

Report codes 90460 and 90461 only when the physician or qualified health care professional provides
face-to-face counseling of the patient/family during the administration of the vaccine.
For immunization administration of any vaccine that is not accompanied by face-to-face counseling of
the patient/family or for the administration of vaccines for patients over 18 years of age, report codes
90471-90474.

Code 90460 is reported once for the first component of each vaccine or toxoid administered by any
route. The reporting of code 90460 includes counseling for the first vaccine component. Code 90461 is
additionally reported for the counseling associated with each additional component of any combination
vaccine or toxoid.

CPT Coding
• 90460 Through 18 years via any route with counseling by physician or other qualified health
care professional; first vaccine/toxoid component. Medicaid rate as of 7/1/2015 is $21.68
• 90461 Through 18 years via any route, with counseling by physician or other qualified health
care professional; each additional vaccine/toxoid component. Medicaid rate is $0.00
• 90471 (including percutaneous, intradermal, subcutaneous, or intramuscular injections); one
vaccine (single or combination vaccines/toxoid). Medicaid rate as of 7/1/2015 is $21.68
• 90472 (including percutaneous, subcutaneous, intradermal, or intramuscular injections); each
additional vaccine (single or combination vaccine/toxoid). Medicaid rate as of 7/1/2015 - $12.59

Those videos weren't really helpful for me, I'm sorry.. I'm just trying to understand how to code when you have multiple vaccines that are being given. Do you code each component of the vaccines or just the vaccines themselves?

Okay, so when you just have a single vaccine that is being given and it's for example MMR, that's when you would code for the multiple components right? But if the MMR was being given along with another vaccine you wouldn't code each component you would just code each vaccine right?

That's where I'm getting confused is when do you code the components of a vaccine and when do you not?

The coaching staff is out until Tuesday, September 7th to observe Labor Day. They will respond asap when they return.

Okay, so when you just have a single vaccine that is being given and it's for example MMR, that's when you would code for the multiple components right? But if the MMR was being given along with another vaccine you wouldn't code each component you would just code each vaccine right?

That's where I'm getting confused is when do you code the components of a vaccine and when do you not?
I'm going over a practice question I have and it has me a little confused and I was hoping someone could help me understand it a little better!

The questions states:
"A 5 year old boy was seen today for immunizations prior to beginning school. After counseling by the PA, he received diphtheria, tetanus toxoid, acellular pertussis, haemophilius influenza Type B, and polio virus as a single injection. Additionally, he received MMRV subcutaneously."

Now it says the answer to this question is:
90698, 90710, 90460, 90461, Z23.

My question is, when you have multiple vaccines that are given (with counseling) do you just code 90460 for the first vaccine and then 90461 for each additional vaccine? And then when you have just a single vaccine you would code each component of that vaccine, right? For instance MMR you would code 90460, 90461x2. Is my understanding of this correct?

You only code the components of a vaccine when there is a single vaccine being administered, right?

Thank you!
I bill the 90460 for the first component of all vaccines
and
90461 for each additional components

example: DTAP is one poke but 3 components so
90460 for the first component Diphtheria
and
90461 x2 for the tetnus and pertussis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back