• Register to Access the Free Forums and 3 Free CEUs!

To view the content for the 3 free CEUs, please sign up today.

CLICK HERE TO REGISTER
  • Missing Access To A Course, Blitz or Exam? Have Technical Issues? Open a Help Desk Ticket
    Please Do Not Post in the Community About Access or Technical Issues
    CCO Business Hours for Help Desk and Coaching: Mon-Fri 9am-4pm Eastern

Resolved Underdosing

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaryW_64032

pt comes in with cough and sob ran out Of albuterol has asthma.
final asthma and refill albuterol would I do a T code for underdosing? I am thinking no as the the final is just asthma and no exacerbation ? Thanks

I would agree since no exacerbation.

Underdosing
is defined as taking less of a medication than is prescribed by the provider or the manufacturer's instructions. Underdosing is identified by the number “6” in the 5th or 6th character of an ICD-10 CM code.

ICD-10-CM Section T36-T50. Poisoning by, adverse effect of and underdosing of drugs, medicaments and biological substances.

(T36-T50 with the sixth character of “6”) as well as the reason why a patient didn’t take a drug correctly or at all (Z91.12X and Z91.13X)

Underdosing often leads to a relapse or exacerbation of the patient’s condition.

The ability to report underdosing helps clarify that the patient’s current state of relapse or exacerbation is not due to the fact that the provider did not prescribe a viable course of treatment—but rather that the patient did not follow the prescribed treatment plan.

Since underdosing represents non-compliance with prescribed treatment, ICD-10-CM also contains codes that report some of the common underlying reasons for non-compliance such as:

• Intentional Under dosing of Medication Regimen Due Financial Hardship (Z91.120)
• Unintentional Under dosing of Medication Regimen Due to Age-Related Debility (Z91.130)
Intentional/Unintentional Underdosing for Other Reason (Z91.128/Z91.138)
• Under dosing of Medication NOS (Z91.14)

External Cause of Morbidity codes (Y63.6, Y63.8-Y63.9) are also available to report the fact that underdosing is due to non administration of a necessary drug or failure in dosage during surgical and medical care.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back