• Register to Access the Free Forums and 3 Free CEUs!

To view the content for the 3 free CEUs, please sign up today.

CLICK HERE TO REGISTER
  • Missing Access To A Course, Blitz or Exam? Have Technical Issues? Open a Help Desk Ticket
    Please Do Not Post in the Community About Access or Technical Issues
    CCO Business Hours for Help Desk and Coaching: Mon-Fri 9am-4pm Eastern

Resolved Tongue Lesion removal

MaureenM_38315

Hi There! You guys have been great! I've been watching some previous videos because I need a few more CEU credits before July. I have a question about lesions on the tongue.

Can I bill multiple removal of lesions on the tongue or do I just bill one code and this will include all lesions? I believe the CPT code is 41110. See attached report.

Thank you in advance!

Maureen

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-05-10 144345.png
    Screenshot 2023-05-10 144345.png
    47.5 KB · Views: 4
Thanks for including the report. It really helps.

This is not really an excision rather it is a destrcution.
40820 - Destruction of lesion or scar of vestibule of mouth by physical methods (eg, laser, thermal, cryo, chemical)
The lesion is examined and the most appropriate form of destruction determined. Local anesthesia is administered as needed. Cryosurgery using liquid nitrogen to freeze the lesion is one destruction technique. Surgical curettage followed by electrosurgery is another common method of destruction. Other techniques include chemosurgery with a chemotherapeutic agent such as 5-fluorouracil (5-FU) or laser destruction with a carbon dioxide laser.

41110 - Excision of lesion of tongue without closure
A local anesthetic is injected around and below the lesion. An incision is made through the epithelium and into the underlying fibrous tissue and muscle. The incision is carried around the lesion and the lesion is excised along with a margin of healthy tissue. The lesion is sent to the laboratory for separately reportable pathology examination. In 41110, a small superficial lesion is excised without closure of surgical site. In 41112, a larger, deeper lesion in the anterior two-thirds of the tongue is excised with suture repair of the surgical site. In 41113, a larger, deeper lesion in the posterior one-third of the tongue is excised with suture repair of the surgical site

thank you ! Makes so much sense. The doctor was giving me the wrong code. 40820 says laser, thermal, cryo or chemical and he used laser. Thanks so much!

Back