• Register to Access the Free Forums and 3 Free CEUs!

To view the content for the 3 free CEUs, please sign up today.

CLICK HERE TO REGISTER
  • Missing Access To A Course, Blitz or Exam? Have Technical Issues? Open a Help Desk Ticket
    Please Do Not Post in the Community About Access or Technical Issues
    CCO Business Hours for Help Desk and Coaching: Mon-Fri 9am-4pm Eastern

Resource Sepsis Coding

Hi everyone I am stuck on this Sepsis Could anyone please help me with this I would sooo appreciate it I think what is scaring or cofusing me is the rectal stump for some reason but I am coding this for a Rick Adjustment chart to be turned in by end of day I have been researching sepsis but I dont know confused would be the word lol thank you

Coding sepsis requires a minimum of two codes: a code for the systemic infection SIRS due to infectious process without organ dysfunction. If no causal organism is documented within the medical record, query the physician or assign , Unspecified septicemia.

What’s the diagnosis in ICD-10?
  • Bacteremia – Code R78.81 (Bacteremia).
  • Septicemia – There is NO code for septicemia in ICD-10. Instead, you’re directed to a combination ‘A’ code for sepsis to indicate the underlying infection, such A41.9 (Sepsis, unspecified organism) for septicemia with no further detail. Note: ‘A’ codes for Sepsis in ICD-10 include both the underlying infection (septicemia) and the body’s inflammatory reaction.
  • SIRS (Systemic inflammatory response syndrome) –
    • First, determine if the SIRS is related to an infectious origin.
      • If Yes, assign a code for Sepsis. Follow instructions for Sepsis coding and determine if organ dysfunction is present. If it is, you’ll need to include a code from R65.2-, Severe Sepsis.
      • If No, assign a code first for the underlying cause of the SIRS (such as T67.0- for heatstroke), followed by R65.1-for SIRS of non-infectious origin.
  • Sepsis – Choose the correct ‘A’ code to indicate the sepsis. Simply locate the code for the correct type of infectious process that is causing the sepsis, such as A41.51 (Sepsis due to Escherichia coli [E. coli]). Note: The underlying systemic infection and the body’s inflammatory response to it are captured in one combination code.
  • Severe sepsis – First choose the correct code for the underlying infection, such as A41.51 (Sepsis due to Escherichia coli [E. coli]), then code the severe sepsis, such as R65.20 (Severe sepsis without septic shock) and then assign an additional code for the organ dysfunction it’s causing, such as K72.00 (Acute and subacute hepatic failure without coma).
  • Septic shock — Code first the underlying infection (for example A41.51, Sepsis due to Escherichia coli [E. coli]), then code the severe sepsis combination code that indicates the presence of septic shock (R65.21, Severe sepsis with septic shock) and lastly code the associated organ failure (such as J96.00, Acute respiratory failure, unspecified whether with hypoxia or hypercapnia).

Last edited by a moderator:
thank you so much it has been awhile since I have coded sepsis and I appreciate all the help here Yahoo coders are number 1

Coding sepsis requires a minimum of two codes: a code for the systemic infection SIRS due to infectious process without organ dysfunction. If no causal organism is documented within the medical record, query the physician or assign , Unspecified septicemia.

What’s the diagnosis in ICD-10?
  • Bacteremia – Code R78.81 (Bacteremia).
  • Septicemia – There is NO code for septicemia in ICD-10. Instead, you’re directed to a combination ‘A’ code for sepsis to indicate the underlying infection, such A41.9 (Sepsis, unspecified organism) for septicemia with no further detail. Note: ‘A’ codes for Sepsis in ICD-10 include both the underlying infection (septicemia) and the body’s inflammatory reaction.
  • SIRS (Systemic inflammatory response syndrome) –
    • First, determine if the SIRS is related to an infectious origin.
      • If Yes, assign a code for Sepsis. Follow instructions for Sepsis coding and determine if organ dysfunction is present. If it is, you’ll need to include a code from R65.2-, Severe Sepsis.
      • If No, assign a code first for the underlying cause of the SIRS (such as T67.0- for heatstroke), followed by R65.1-for SIRS of non-infectious origin.
  • Sepsis – Choose the correct ‘A’ code to indicate the sepsis. Simply locate the code for the correct type of infectious process that is causing the sepsis, such as A41.51 (Sepsis due to Escherichia coli [E. coli]). Note: The underlying systemic infection and the body’s inflammatory response to it are captured in one combination code.
  • Severe sepsis – First choose the correct code for the underlying infection, such as A41.51 (Sepsis due to Escherichia coli [E. coli]), then code the severe sepsis, such as R65.20 (Severe sepsis without septic shock) and then assign an additional code for the organ dysfunction it’s causing, such as K72.00 (Acute and subacute hepatic failure without coma).
  • Septic shock — Code first the underlying infection (for example A41.51, Sepsis due to Escherichia coli [E. coli]), then code the severe sepsis combination code that indicates the presence of septic shock (R65.21, Severe sepsis with septic shock) and lastly code the associated organ failure (such as J96.00, Acute respiratory failure, unspecified whether with hypoxia or hypercapnia).

This is broken down so simply. Thanks Lori!

Are there anymore videos or resources on different coding examples for Sepsis? I can't find any other than this one. This video mentions of additional videos but where are they?

CCO has a couple of videos

My friend Jill makes a great chart you can purchase here for $7: (I have one :) )

Sepsis Coding Tool​

by
Jill Kulanco

The Sepsis Coding Tool is an 8-page folded medical coding aid made of heavy stock that easily fits in a 3-ring binder. This coding aid provides over 70 coding scenarios related to sepsis, SIRS, septic shock, and other septic conditions in ICD-9-CM and ICD-10-CM. Definitions, documentation issues, coding tips and examples are provided for localized infections, bacteremia, septicemia, SIRS, sepsis, severe sepsis, septic shock, post-procedural sepsis, obstetrical sepsis, newborn sepsis, etc. This guide also provides information on when to query the physician. If you struggle with coding sepsis, then the Sepsis Coding Tool is for you!

I can't view the link while at work...I get an error message. But I will review when I get home. Thank you.

Sepsis in pregnancy.

Kristi Pollard is a friend & you can hear her speak on Talk Ten Tuesdays,10 Eastern.

This sepsis toolkit, will soon be adopted by the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS).

• Step 1: Initial sepsis screen for all patients with suspected infection (positive of two or more criteria are met)
    • Oral temperature < 36°C (96.8°F) or ≥ 38°C (100.4°F)
    • Heart rate > 110 beats per minute and sustained for 15 minutes
    • Respiratory rate > 24 breaths per minute and sustained for 15 minutes
    • White blood cell count > 15,000/mm3 or < 4,000/mm or > 10 percent immature neutrophils (bands)
  • Step 2: Confirmation of sepsis by evaluating for end organ dysfunction. This includes lab studies and prompt bedside evaluation by the physician. Therapy should be initiated within an hour while awaiting lab results consisting of antibiotics administration and IV fluids.
Be familiar with the coding guidelines associated for reporting sepsis
I.C.1. (infectious and parasitic disease) and
I.C.15 (pregnancy), which addresses coding and sequencing for sepsis-related to pregnancy or abortion, puerperal sepsis, and sepsis due to an infected obstetrical wound.

Great sepsis tool kit Download:

Improving Diagnosis and Treatment of Maternal Sepsis (2020)

Frequently Asked Questions

Slide Set for Professional Education

Informational Webinar(link is external)

Individual sections of the toolkit are also available to download by clicking on the links below:

Appendix A: Comparison of Sepsis Terminology
Appendix B: CMS Sepsis-1 Accommodations for Special Populations
Appendix C: Justification for Adjustments to CMS Sepsis-1 Criteria for End Organ Injury
Appendix D: Maternal Sepsis Evaluation Flow Chart
Appendix E: Collecting a Urine Specimen from a Foley Catheter
Appendix F: The Importance of Taking a Respiratory Rate
Appendix G: How to Take an Oral Temperature Measurement
Appendix H: Team Reassessment Communication
Appendix I: Sample, Maternal Sepsis Debriefing Form
Appendix J: UC Davis Health Maternal Sepsis Drill Scenario
Appendix K: Maternal Sepsis Sample Education Outline
Appendix L: Lactation Safety of Antimicrobials Used for Treatment of Sepsis
Appendix M: Sample, Sutter Health Sepsis Order Set

Providers often use the term urosepsis to describe both septicemia and a urinary tract infection. For accurate coding, coders should determine if the term urosepsis is being used to describe sepsis or urinary tract infection.

Bacteremia is a blood poisoning in which bacteria are found in the bloodstreamSepticemia is a systemic disease associated with the presence of pathogenic microorganisms within the bloodstream. The microorganisms can include bacteria, fungi, viruses, or other organisms. Septicemia is an acute illness and should not be confused with a chronic condition. A patient diagnosed with septicemia is no longer equated to mean the patient has sepsis and identified through laboratory testing. It is most often asymptomatic and not thought to be life-threatening. Bacteremia can progress to septicemia.

Septicemia should be based strictly on physician documentation.

Streptococcal septicemia is considered a generalized infection caused by a streptococcal organism, and only code 038.0 should be assigned.

Systemic inflammatory response syndrome (SIRS) is defined as a clinical response to an insult, infection, or trauma.

Severe sepsis is defined as SIRS due to an infection that progresses to organ dysfunction, such as kidney or heart failure.

R65.2, Severe sepsis without septic shock

Severe sepsis is a result of both community-acquired and healthcare-associated infections. It is reported that pneumonia accounts for about half of all cases of severe sepsis, followed by intraabdominal and urinary tract infections.

A minimum of two codes are needed to code severe sepsis. First, an appropriate code has to be selected for the underlying infection, such as, A41.51 (Sepsis due to Escherichia coli), and this should be followed by code R65.2, severe sepsis.

• If the causal organism is not documented, code A41.9, Sepsis, unspecified organism, should be assigned for the infection.
  • An additional code should be assigned for the organ dysfunction severe sepsis is causing, such as, N17.0 Acute kidney failure with tubular necrosis.
  • If a patient has sepsis and an acute organ dysfunction, but the medical record documentation indicates that the acute organ dysfunction is related to a medical condition other than the sepsis, a code from subcategory R65.2, Severe sepsis should not be assigned.
  • The provider should be queried if the documentation is not clear as to whether an acute organ dysfunction is related to the sepsis or another medical condition.
Sequencing of Severe Sepsis

• If severe sepsis is present on admission, and meets the definition of a principal diagnosis, the underlying systemic infection should be assigned as principal diagnosis followed by the appropriate code from subcategory R65.2, following the sequencing rules in the Tabular List. A code from subcategory R65.2 can never be assigned as a principal diagnosis.
  • If the severe sepsis was not present on admission but develops during the encounter, the underlying systemic infection and the appropriate code from subcategory R65.2 (Severe sepsis) should be assigned as secondary diagnoses.
  • It could happen that severe sepsis is present on admission, but the diagnosis may not be confirmed until sometime after admission. The provider should be queried if the documentation is not clear whether severe sepsis was present on admission.

Septic shock generally refers to circulatory failure associated with severe sepsis, and therefore represents a type of acute organ dysfunction.

Septic Shock

R65.21, Severe sepsis with septic shock

As it typically refers to circulatory failure associated with severe sepsis, septic shock indicates a type of acute organ dysfunction.

The code for septic shock cannot be assigned as a principal diagnosis. For septic shock, the code for the underlying infection should be sequenced first, followed by code R65.21, Severe sepsis with septic shock or code T81.12, Postprocedural septic shock. Additional codes are also required to report other acute organ dysfunctions.

Sepsis

• If the underlying infection or causative organism is not further specified, code A41.9, Sepsis unspecified organism should be assigned.
  • For a diagnosis of sepsis, the appropriate code for the underlying systemic infection should be assigned, for instance, A41.51 (Sepsis due to Escherichia coli). One combination code is used to capture the underlying systemic infection and the body’s inflammatory response to it.
  • A code from subcategory R65.2, Severe sepsis, should not be assigned unless severe sepsis or an associated acute organ dysfunction is documented.
ICD-10 guidelines state that the coder should query the provider in the following instances:

• If the blood culture is negative or inconclusive, as this does not rule out the presence of sepsis.
  • If the term ‘urosepsis’ is used in the documentation, as urosepsis is not considered synonymous with sepsis.
  • If the documentation is not clear as to whether an acute organ dysfunction is related to the sepsis or another medical condition.
If it is reported that the patient has sepsis and associated acute organ dysfunction or multiple organ dysfunction (MOD), the instructions for coding severe sepsis should be followed.

Viral Sepsis​

Sepsis due to a virus is not found as a subterm in the Alphabetic Index. This has raised many questions when coding sepsis due to the influenza and COVID-19 viruses. AHA Coding Clinic® (Vol. 3, No. 3, p. 8) advises using A41.89 Other specified sepsis for sepsis due to viral infections even though this code is found in the Other Bacterial Diseases section (A30-A49) of Chapter 1. When sepsis occurs with COVID-19, follow guidelines I.C.1.d.1-4 for sequencing.

Coding tips: When severe sepsis is documented, there will be a minimum of two ICD-10-CM codes (guideline I.C.1.d.1.b.). First, code for the underlying systemic infection (i.e., sepsis), followed by a code for severe sepsis (R65.2-). If organ dysfunction other than septic shock is present, add the codes for the specific organ dysfunction.

Post-Procedural Sepsis and Sepsis Due to a Device, Implant, or Graft​

A systemic infection can occur as a complication of a procedure or due to a device, implant, or graft. This includes systemic infections due to postoperative wound infections, infusions, transfusions, therapeutic injections, implanted devices, and transplants.

Documentation issues: The physician must document the cause-and-effect relationship between the infection and the procedure or device (guidelines I.B.16 and I.C.1.d.5.a). Common cause-and-effect relational words and phrases include “due to,” “associated with,” “related to,” “attributed to,” and “secondary to.” If the documentation isn’t clear as to the relationship, query the physician. Occasionally, the physician will state “infected PICC line” or “infected spinal hardware.” These are examples of when a cause-and-effect relationship between the implant/device and the infection is implied by the adjective “infected,” and can be coded as a complication.

A query may be necessary when “sepsis due to complicated UTI” is documented on a chart. In this statement, it is unclear what is complicating the UTI. It could be the patient’s medical condition, or it could be an indwelling Foley catheter. It is important that the cause of sepsis be accurately captured because when a complication code is sequenced first, the case will no longer fall under the sepsis MS-DRG and reimbursement will be impacted.

Coding tips: When sepsis is due to a procedural complication, sequence the complication code first, followed by the code for the specific infection. If the patient has severe sepsis, code R65.2- along with the codes for each organ dysfunction. If the exact causative organism is known, code for the infectious agent (guidelines I.C.1.5.b-c).

Obstetrical Sepsis​

When sepsis and septic shock are complicating abortion, pregnancy, childbirth, and/or the puerperium, sequence the obstetrical code first, followed by a code for the specific type of infection. Per guideline I.C.15.j, if the patient has severe sepsis, code R65.2- with the codes for each organ dysfunction. Also, if the specific causative organism is known, code for the infectious agent. According to guideline I.C.15.k, code A41.- Other sepsis should not be added for puerperal sepsis.

Guideline I.C.1.d.5.b states that if sepsis occurs due to an obstetric procedure, first assign O86.04 Sepsis following an obstetrical procedure, followed by the codes for sepsis. When documented, report additional codes for severe sepsis and any organ dysfunction.

Newborn Sepsis​

When a newborn is diagnosed with sepsis, assign a code from category P36 Bacterial sepsis of newborn. According to guideline I.C.16.f, if a newborn is documented as having sepsis without documentation of whether it is congenital or community-acquired, the default is congenital, and a code from P36 is assigned. Most of the codes in category P36 include the causative organism, so an additional code for the infectious organism should not be assigned. If the P36 code does not identify the specific organism, however, an additional code for the organism can be assigned.

Urosepsis and Sepsis Syndrome​

The term urosepsis is no longer indexed in ICD-10-CM. The Alphabetic Index instructs you to “code to condition.” When urosepsis is documented and the patient meets sepsis criteria, the coder must query the physician (guideline I.C.1.d.a.ii).

“Sepsis syndrome” is also not a codable term in ICD-10-CM because it isn’t listed in the Alphabetic Index. The coder must query the provider when the term sepsis syndrome is documented as a final diagnosis and the clinical indicators for sepsis are met.

Sepsis-3​

The definitions of sepsis and the clinical indicators to determine sepsis have changed in Sepsis-3. Per AHA Coding Clinic® (Vol. 3, No. 3, p. 8), regardless of the clinical criteria and definitions that the physicians are using to arrive at a diagnosis of sepsis, code assignment is based on how sepsis is documented. At this time there have been no modifications to the coding guidelines or sepsis coding advice based on these new definitions.

ICD-10-CM Chapter 1 Certain Infectious and Parasitic Diseases, contains specific guidelines relating to the coding of Sepsis, Severe Sepsis and Septic Shock, although there is one guideline listed in Chapter 15 Pregnancy Childbirth and Puerperium, Chapter 16 Certain Conditions Originating in the Perinatal Period and in Chapter 18 Symptoms, Signs and Abnormal Clinical and Laboratory Findings; all should be reviewed and followed regarding Sepsis as well.

In Chapter 1 the code range A40 – A41.9, classifies several types of bacterial sepsis but also includes “Sepsis, unspecified organism”. When assigning a code for SIRS and Severe Sepsis, Chapter 18 is where the codes are located:

• R65.1 Systemic inflammatory response syndrome (SIRS) of non-infectious origin
  • R65.10 Systemic inflammatory response syndrome of non-infectious origin without acute organ dysfunction
  • R65.11 Systemic inflammatory response syndrome of non-infectious origin with acute organ dysfunction
  • R65.2 Severe Sepsis
  • R65.20 Severe Sepsis without Septic Shock
  • R65.21 Severe Sepsis with Septic Shock
https://www.starauditing.com/blog/2017/6/18/sepsis-coding
ICD-10-CM Official Guidelines for Coding andReporting
FY 2022
Page 22 of 115
d. Sepsis, Severe Sepsis, and Septic Shock Infections resistant to
antibiotics
1) Coding of Sepsis and Severe Sepsis
(a) Sepsis
For a diagnosis of sepsis, assign the appropriate code for the
underlying systemic infection. If the type of infection or causal
organism is not further specified, assign code A41.9, Sepsis,
unspecified organism.
A code from subcategory R65.2, Severe sepsis, should not be
assigned unless severe sepsis or an associated acute organ
dysfunction is documented.
(i) Negative or inconclusive blood cultures and sepsis
Negative or inconclusive blood cultures do not preclude a
diagnosis of sepsis in patients with clinical evidence of
the condition; however, the provider should be queried.
(ii) Urosepsis
The term urosepsis is a nonspecific term. It is not to be
considered synonymous with sepsis. It has no default code
in the Alphabetic Index. Should a provider use this term,
he/she must be queried for clarification.
(iii)Sepsis with organ dysfunction
If a patient has sepsis and associated acute organ
dysfunction or multiple organ dysfunction (MOD), follow
the instructions for coding severe sepsis.
(iv)Acute organ dysfunction that is not clearly associated
with the sepsis
If a patient has sepsis and an acute organ dysfunction, but
the medical record documentation indicates that the acute
organ dysfunction is related to a medical condition other
than the sepsis, do not assign a code from subcategory
R65.2, Severe sepsis. An acute organ dysfunction must be
associated with the sepsis in order to assign the severe
sepsis code. If the documentation is not clear as to
whether an acute organ dysfunction is related to the sepsis
or another medical condition, query the provider.
(b) Severe sepsis
The coding of severe sepsis requires a minimum of 2 codes: first
a code for the underlying systemic infection, followed by a code
from subcategory R65.2, Severe sepsis. If the causal organism is
FY 2022
Page 23 of 115
not documented, assign code A41.9, Sepsis, unspecified
organism, for the infection. Additional code(s) for the associated
acute organ dysfunction are also required.
Due to the complex nature of severe sepsis, some cases may
require querying the provider prior to assignment of the codes.
2) Septic shock
Septic shock generally refers to circulatory failure associated with severe
sepsis, and therefore, it represents a type of acute organ dysfunction.
For cases of septic shock, the code for the systemic infection should be
sequenced first, followed by code R65.21, Severe sepsis with septic
shock or code T81.12, Postprocedural septic shock. Any additional codes
for the other acute organ dysfunctions should also be assigned. As noted
in the sequencing instructions in the Tabular List, the code for septic
shock cannot be assigned as a principal diagnosis.
3) Sequencing of severe sepsis
If severe sepsis is present on admission, and meets the definition of
principal diagnosis, the underlying systemic infection should be assigned
as principal diagnosis followed by the appropriate code from subcategory
R65.2 as required by the sequencing rules in the Tabular List. A code
from subcategory R65.2 can never be assigned as a principal diagnosis.
When severe sepsis develops during an encounter (it was not present on
admission), the underlying systemic infection and the appropriate code
from subcategory R65.2 should be assigned as secondary diagnoses.
Severe sepsis may be present on admission, but the diagnosis may not be
confirmed until sometime after admission. If the documentation is not
clear whether severe sepsis was present on admission, the provider
should be queried.
4) Sepsis or severe sepsis with a localized infection
If the reason for admission is sepsis or severe sepsis and a localized
infection, such as pneumonia or cellulitis, a code(s) for the underlying
systemic infection should be assigned first and the code for the localized
infection should be assigned as a secondary diagnosis. If the patient has
severe sepsis, a code from subcategory R65.2 should also be assigned as
a secondary diagnosis. If the patient is admitted with a localized
infection, such as pneumonia, and sepsis/severe sepsis doesn’t develop
until after admission, the localized infection should be assigned first,
followed by the appropriate sepsis/severe sepsis codes.
5) Sepsis due to a postprocedural infection
(a) Documentation of causal
relationship
FY 2022
Page 24 of 115
As with all postprocedural complications, code assignment is
based on the provider’s documentation of the relationship
between the infection and the procedure.
(b) Sepsis due to a postprocedural infection
For infections following a procedure, a code from T81.40, to
T81.43 Infection following a procedure, or a code from O86.00 to
O86.03, Infection of obstetric surgical wound, that identifies the
site of the infection should be coded first, if known. Assign an
additional code for sepsis following a procedure (T81.44) or
sepsis following an obstetrical procedure (O86.04). Use an
additional code to identify the infectious agent. If the patient has
severe sepsis, the appropriate code from subcategory R65.2
should also be assigned with the additional code(s) for any acute
organ dysfunction.
For infections following infusion, transfusion, therapeutic
injection, or immunization, a code from subcategory T80.2,
Infections following infusion, transfusion, and therapeutic
injection, or code T88.0-, Infection following immunization,
should be coded first, followed by the code for the specific
infection. If the patient has severe sepsis, the appropriate code
from subcategory R65.2 should also be assigned, with the
additional codes(s) for any acute organ dysfunction.
(c) Postprocedural infection and postprocedural septic shock
If a postprocedural infection has resulted in postprocedural septic
shock, assign the codes indicated above for sepsis due to a
postprocedural infection, followed by code T81.12-,
Postprocedural septic shock. Do not assign code R65.21, Severe
sepsis with septic shock. Additional code(s) should be assigned
for any acute organ dysfunction.
6) Sepsis and severe sepsis associated with a noninfectious process
(condition)
In some cases, a noninfectious process (condition) such as trauma, may
lead to an infection which can result in sepsis or severe sepsis. If sepsis
or severe sepsis is documented as associated with a noninfectious
condition, such as a burn or serious injury, and this condition meets the
definition for principal diagnosis, the code for the noninfectious
condition should be sequenced first, followed by the code for the
resulting infection. If severe sepsis is present, a code from subcategory
R65.2 should also be assigned with any associated organ dysfunction(s)
codes. It is not necessary to assign a code from subcategory R65.1,
Systemic inflammatory response syndrome (SIRS) of non-infectious
origin, for these cases.
FY 2022
Page 25 of 115
If the infection meets the definition of principal diagnosis, it should be
sequenced before the non-infectious condition. When both the associated
non-infectious condition and the infection meet the definition of
principal diagnosis, either may be assigned as principal diagnosis.
Only one code from category R65, Symptoms and signs specifically
associated with systemic inflammation and infection, should be assigned.
Therefore, when a non-infectious condition leads to an infection
resulting in severe sepsis, assign the appropriate code from subcategory
R65.2, Severe sepsis. Do not additionally assign a code from subcategory
R65.1, Systemic inflammatory response syndrome (SIRS) of noninfectious origin.
See Section I.C.18. SIRS due to non-infectious process
7) Sepsis and septic shock complicating abortion, pregnancy,
childbirth, and the puerperium
See Section I.C.15. Sepsis and septic shock complicating abortion,
pregnancy, childbirth and the puerperium
8) Newborn sepsis
See Section I.C.16. f. Bacterial sepsis of Newborn

Back