• Register to Access the Free Forums and 3 Free CEUs!

To view the content for the 3 free CEUs, please sign up today.

CLICK HERE TO REGISTER
  • Missing Access To A Course, Blitz or Exam? Have Technical Issues? Open a Help Desk Ticket
    Please Do Not Post in the Community About Access or Technical Issues
    CCO Business Hours for Help Desk and Coaching: Mon-Fri 9am-4pm Eastern

Resolved Repeat Prescriptions Z76.0

I have a coder that is coding Z76.0 as primary on an office visit, patient comes in following ER/urgent care and provider refills prescriptions, wouldnt this be included in his office visit as apart of it? When is it appropriate to code Z76.0 I thought it was if that is the only reason for visit.
Thanks

I have a coder that is coding Z76.0 as primary on an office visit, patient comes in following ER/urgent care and provider refills prescriptions, wouldnt this be included in his office visit as apart of it? When is it appropriate to code Z76.0 I thought it was if that is the only reason for visit.
Thanks
Rx refill was the only service provided, correct? If E/M code is for established patient, and no complaints documented, then Z76.0 is fine

Rx refill was the only service provided, correct? If E/M code is for established patient, and no complaints documented, then Z76.0 is fine
Yes , other problems addressed, if so and she should be listing this last which guideline would you provide to the coder?

Z76.0 (can not be first listed as per ICD-10 guidelines)
Applicable To
  • Encounter for issue of repeat prescription for appliance
  • Encounter for issue of repeat prescription for medicaments
  • Encounter for issue of repeat prescription for spectacles
Can Z76 0 be used as a primary diagnosis?

Encounter for issue of repeat prescription) if it's the only reason for the encounter, but it can't be listed as the Principle or First-Listed diagnosis

Screen Shot 2023-07-06 at 9.00.06 AM.png

Section II. (inpatient)
Selection of Principal Diagnosis
The circumstances of inpatient admission always govern the selection of principal diagnosis. The principal diagnosis is defined in the Uniform Hospital Discharge Data Set (UHDDS) as “that condition established after study to be chiefly responsible for occasioning the admission of the patient to the hospital for care.”

A. Selection of first-listed condition In the outpatient setting,
the term first-listed diagnosis is used in lieu of principal diagnosis. In determining the first-listed diagnosis the coding conventions of ICD-10-CM, as well as the general and disease-specific guidelines take precedence over the outpatient guidelines. Diagnoses often are not established at the time of the initial encounter/visit. It may take two or more visits before the diagnosis is confirmed.

Back