• Register to Access the Free Forums and 3 Free CEUs!

To view the content for the 3 free CEUs, please sign up today.

CLICK HERE TO REGISTER
  • Missing Access To A Course, Blitz or Exam? Have Technical Issues? Open a Help Desk Ticket
    Please Do Not Post in the Community About Access or Technical Issues
    CCO Business Hours for Help Desk and Coaching: Mon-Fri 9am-4pm Eastern

Resolved Pregnancy

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaryW_64032

Hello I have a pt That is coming In for syncope. Final syncope md tells pt her pregnancy test is positive and she informs MD she had an elective abortion a week ago. would I do O codes? I know the test will show positive even after an elective abortion.. I can’t find a guideline

Are you an OB office? If you are a PCP office I would use syncope R code then the Z33.1 pregnant state incidental. I.C.15.a.1 says "should the provider document that the pregnany is incidental to the encounter, then code Z33.1 should be used in place of any chapter 15 (O) code. It is the provider's responsibility to state that the condition being treated is not affecting the pregnancy" If the problem she was seen for is not related to the pregnancy, I would not code it. You can clarify with the provider if the pregnancy is not affecting treatment and use the Z code.

Are you an OB office? If you are a PCP office I would use syncope R code then the Z33.1 pregnant state incidental. I.C.15.a.1 says "should the provider document that the pregnany is incidental to the encounter, then code Z33.1 should be used in place of any chapter 15 (O) code. It is the provider's responsibility to state that the condition being treated is not affecting the pregnancy" If the problem she was seen for is not related to the pregnancy, I would not code it. You can clarify with the provider if the pregnancy is not affecting treatment and use the Z code.
I am coding the ED. Provider isn’t stating incidental. I don’t know if she would still be considered pregnant seeing how her test is positive which I read is normal after such procedure.

In my opinion, he is not treating the pregnancy. An O code is used for treating conditions of pregnancy. You can submit a query to clarify the medical record.
If a code is needed for the record per your coding guidelines, then I would use O02.81. This would include a "chemical pregnancy". The HCG levels are still high indicating "pregnant" even though the patient is no longer pregnant. O02.81 would have sequencing priority over the R code.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back