• Register to Access the Free Forums and 3 Free CEUs!

To view the content for the 3 free CEUs, please sign up today.

CLICK HERE TO REGISTER
  • Missing Access To A Course, Blitz or Exam? Have Technical Issues? Open a Help Desk Ticket
    Please Do Not Post in the Community About Access or Technical Issues
    CCO Business Hours for Help Desk and Coaching: Mon-Fri 9am-4pm Eastern

Resolved Pain Control in Emergency Department

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaryW_64032

pt comes in with r wrist pain due to fracture diagnosed two days ago And is here for pain control . PT is having surgery for his fracture in two days And almost out of his medicine.

final wrist fracture
pain meds were given in ED
The pain Is not listEd As a acute, chronic etc so this means I can’t code a G89 code first and at all.
the Guideline also says if pt is here for pain control use G code ?
I am not understanding the guideline.
i believe my final I code to wrist fracture with a D as the pain is being treated and Not the fracture ?

official guideline
If the pain is not specified as acute or chronic, post- thoracotomy, postprocedural, or neoplasm-related, do not assign codes from category G89.
A code from category G89 should not be assigned if the underlying (definitive) diagnosis is known, unless the reason for the encounter is pain control/ management and not management of the underlying condition.
When an admission or encounter is for a procedure aimed at treating the underlying condition (e.g., spinal fusion, kyphoplasty), a code for the underlying condition (e.g., vertebral fracture, spinal stenosis) should be assigned as the principal diagnosis. No code from category G89 should be assigned.
(a) Category G89 Codes as Principal or First-Listed Diagnosis
Category G89 codes are acceptable as principal diagnosis or the first-listed code:
• When pain control or pain management is the reason
for the admission/encounter (e.g., a patient with displaced intervertebral disc, nerve impingement and severe back pain presents for injection of steroid into the spinal canal). The underlying cause of the pain should be reported as an additional diagnosis, if known.
• When a patient is admitted for the insertion of aD
If the pain is not specified as acute or chronic, post- thoracotomy, postprocedural, or neoplasm-related, do not assign codes from category G89.
A code from category G89 should not be assigned if the underlying (definitive) diagnosis is known, unless the reason for the encounter is pain control/ management and not management of the underlying condition.
When an admission or encounter is for a procedure aimed at treating the underlying condition (e.g., spinal fusion, kyphoplasty), a code for the underlying condition (e.g., vertebral fracture, spinal stenosis) should be assigned as the principal diagnosis. No code from category G89 should be assigned.
(a) Category G89 Codes as Principal or First-Listed Diagnosis
Category G89 codes are acceptable as principal diagnosis or the first-listed code:
• When pain control or pain management is the reason
for the admission/encounter (e.g., a patient with displaced intervertebral disc, nerve impingement and severe back pain presents for injection of steroid into the spinal canal). The underlying cause of the pain should be reported as an additional diagnosis, if known.

This pain is acute. It happened 2 days ago. If the note says "patient is in pain from wrist fracture 2 days ago" (or something similar to describe the amount of time), then I would call that acute pain. So the G89 code followed by the fracture wrist code should suffice to submit for the encounter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back