• Register to Access the Free Forums and 3 Free CEUs!

To view the content for the 3 free CEUs, please sign up today.

CLICK HERE TO REGISTER
  • Missing Access To A Course, Blitz or Exam? Have Technical Issues? Open a Help Desk Ticket
    Please Do Not Post in the Community About Access or Technical Issues
    CCO Business Hours for Help Desk and Coaching: Mon-Fri 9am-4pm Eastern

Resolved New COVID-19 Codes

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're curious about the new codes also so we've already sent an email to the AAPC to see if it is allowed during tests. Once we have an official update, we'll post it here.

Edit #1: I also posted a comment here to see if that fetches a faster response.

Edit #2: The AAPC wrote: "You may make notes in your books as well as bring in printed official guidelines and errata." Keep in mind you cannot print anything for online exams, so if you're testing online, write the new codes in your manual. If you're testing in-person, you can write the codes, or print the errata.

Last edited:
Good to know Heather thanks for sharing.

We are still awaiting an official reply from AAPC.

I suspect they may say they can not tell us what is or isn't on the exam to protect its integrity. But I figured it couldn't hurt to ask as these codes are not in my new ICD manual. It is the responsibility of the coder to update their own manuals accordingly with any new updates with addendums so here are some links for 2021.

wow, great, how about next year like February, what do you think, I plan to take my exam February
No one knows since exams aren't released until Jan 1st, 2021. Even when they are released, only students taking the exams will know what is on them.

We've emailed the AAPC about writing the codes in manuals and we're still waiting for their response.

No one knows since exams aren't released until Jan 1st, 2021. Even when they are released, only students taking the exams will know what is on them.

We've emailed the AAPC about writing the codes in manuals and we're still waiting for their response.
Thank you so much for the reply sir.😊

AAPC has replied on the blog post:

Renee Dustman says:
December 11, 2020 at 6:46 am
Jesus, You may make notes in your books as well as bring in printed official guidelines and errata.

Keep in mind you cannot print anything for online exams, so if you're testing online, write the new codes in your manual. If you're testing in-person, you can write the codes, or print the errata.

eZQZSMv.png

Last edited:

Can I Bring Printed Errata and ICD-10-CM Guidelines Into the Exam?​

For Online Exams, NO You Cannot​

The AAPC has stated in a Facebook video on September 10, 2020 the following:
So no additional paper is allowed in the exam. I’m being asked if you can print out the guidelines. The answer to that is “no” those are available in your ICD-10 codebook. So the only thing you will be permitted to have in the online exam are the physical codebooks and a white dry-erase board that you can use for process of elimination
Please read the AAPC FAQ and our Unofficial FAQ for more information about the online exams.

For In-Person Exams, YES You Can​

We confirmed by email from the exams department at the AAPC and Teresa Zarco stated:
"Yes, they [examinees] are allowed to bring a printout of the current years guidelines."
"if the proctors have any questions regarding the guidelines the day of the exam. they are more they welcome to contact Wendy Willes, her number is on the Proctor Confirmation."

What other items can I need to bring to the in-person exam?

For a complete list of approved and recommended resources, please refer to the "Approved Resources" document.
The ICD-10-CM Official Guidelines are allowed in all exams that list the ICD-10-CM as an approved resource. Highlighting, underlining and brief notations needed for day-to-day coding is permitted on the printed side of the pages. Long passages of information are not permitted on the blank pages of the print out.
You are also allowed to bring in any Errata from official sources like CPT, ICD, and HCPCS. At times certain publishers have errata - like in a previous years version of ICD a publisher was missing the ambulance modifiers. Examinees were allowed to bring in the official errata from the publisher with those missing pages.
You can always verify with the AAPC by calling 800-626-2633 or emailing them at info@aapc.com.

What is allowed in our books?

Handwritten notes are acceptable in the coding books only if they pertain to daily coding activities. Questions from the Study Guides, Practice Exams or the Exam itself are prohibited. Tabs may be inserted, taped, pasted, glued, or stapled in the manuals so long as the obvious intent of the tab is to earmark a page with words or numbers, not supplement information in the book. Altering, whiting out, painting, or printing over any pages within the code books (e.g., marketing pages, table of contents, reference pages, etc.) to supplement information is prohibited.
No materials (other than tab dividers) may be inserted, taped, pasted, glued, or stapled in the manuals.

Hi, so to clarify have the 2020 CM Guidelines been updated since the previous release?
I did see a release of 2 new codes, I've handwritten these 2 in my CPT code book.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back