• Register to Access the Free Forums and 3 Free CEUs!

To view the content for the 3 free CEUs, please sign up today.

CLICK HERE TO REGISTER
  • Missing Access To A Course, Blitz or Exam? Have Technical Issues? Open a Help Desk Ticket
    Please Do Not Post in the Community About Access or Technical Issues
    CCO Business Hours for Help Desk and Coaching: Mon-Fri 9am-4pm Eastern

Modifiers -51 & -59

Status
Not open for further replies.

CCO_Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Laureen Jandroep asked:

I am trying to understand when to use Modifiers -51 & -59. From my understanding of Mod -51; this is used when there are 2 or more procedures done from two or more different categories or body locations. And Mod -59 is used when there are 2 or more procedures done from the same category on different body locations. Am I understanding this correctly? These are the most used Modifiers used by the physicians that I code for. Please Help!!

Answer:

> 51 - Multiple Procedures: When multiple procedures; other than E/M services; physical medicine and rehabilitation services; or provision of supplies (eg; vaccines); are performed at the same session by the same provider; the primary procedure or service may be reported as listed. The additional procedure(s) or service(s) may be identified by appending modifier 51 to the additional procedure or service code(s).
Note: This modifier should not be appended to designated add-on codes (see Appendix D).

* Volume discounting modifier
* When you apply it the money goes down
* First procedure takes no modifier; subsequent procedures take the modifier
* Think of it as multiple "surgical" type procedures.
* Not multiple as in an EM service + rapid stress test + stitches

> 59 - Distinct Procedural Service: Under certain circumstances; it may be necessary to indicate that a procedure or service was distinct or independent from other non-E/M services performed on the same day. Modifier 59 is used to identify procedures or services; other than E/M services; that are not normally reported together but are appropriate under the circumstances. Documentation must support a different session; different procedure or surgery; different site or organ system; separate incision or excision; separate lesion; or separate injury (or area of injury in extensive injuries) not ordinarily encountered or performed on the same day by the same individual. However; when another already established modifier is appropriate it should be used rather than modifier 59. Only if no more descriptive modifier is available and the use of modifier 59 best explains the circumstances should modifier 59 be used. Note: Modifier 59 should not be appended to an E/M service. To report a
separate and distinct E/M service with a non-E/M service performed on the same date; see modifier 25.Click to expand...

* Unbundling modifier
* When you apply it you get paid where otherwise you wouldnt
* Modifier of Last Resort
* When you have a bundled pair per CCI with a superscript of 1 this is the modifier youre likely to use

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back