• Register to Access the Free Forums and 3 Free CEUs!

To view the content for the 3 free CEUs, please sign up today.

CLICK HERE TO REGISTER
  • Missing Access To A Course, Blitz or Exam? Have Technical Issues? Open a Help Desk Ticket
    Please Do Not Post in the Community About Access or Technical Issues
    CCO Business Hours for Help Desk and Coaching: Mon-Fri 9am-4pm Eastern

Resolved Modifier

Status
Not open for further replies.

BonnieS_3528

CCO Club Member
BHAT® Cave
Medical Coding Blitz
ICD-10-CM Blitz
Risk Adjustment Blitz
I have started a new job, I have always worked for a solo doctor. I am now working for a company that bills for a federally funded group. My question is I have always added modifier 25 to the office visit when a patient comes in for a wellness and has other issues. I am now being told you add modifier 25 to both the wellness and the office visit.

Here’s some quick guidance from CPT: If a new or existing problem is addressed at the time of a preventive service and is significant enough to require additional work to perform the key components of a problem-oriented evaluation and management (E/M) service, you should bill for both services with modifier 25 attached to the latter. Likewise, the Center for Medicare & Medicaid Service’s (CMS) guide to wellness visits states that when you furnish a significant, separately identifiable, medically necessary E/M service with a wellness visit, add the E/M service with modifier 25. “That portion of the visit must be medically necessary to treat the beneficiary’s illness or injury, or to improve the functioning of a malformed body member,”says CMS.

Medicare Wellness Visits​

This thread may also interest you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back