• Register to Access the Free Forums and 3 Free CEUs!

To view the content for the 3 free CEUs, please sign up today.

CLICK HERE TO REGISTER
  • Missing Access To A Course, Blitz or Exam? Have Technical Issues? Open a Help Desk Ticket
    Please Do Not Post in the Community About Access or Technical Issues
    CCO Business Hours for Help Desk and Coaching: Mon-Fri 9am-4pm Eastern

Resolved Miscarriage

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaryW_64032

I know miscarriage codes should not get a Z3A code but what happens if pt has gestational dm and pre existing htn On meds. ? Will these now be coded with no O code ? Will it code to I10 and E11.9. or will the E11.9 go to phx or other pregnancy complications ?

Last edited:
A couple things to note about the disease processes.
1) Gestational DM does not start until the 2nd trimester.
2) Most miscarrages happen in the 1st trimester.
3) Pre-exesting HTN will alway be I10.

Let me know if that helps.

A couple things to note about the disease processes.
1) Gestational DM does not start until the 2nd trimester.
2) Most miscarrages happen in the 1st trimester.
3) Pre-exesting HTN will alway be I10.

Let me know if that helps.
Thank you pt was 15 weeks second trimester I apologize I should have clarified that . The O codes for miscarriage say not to use Z3A weeks of trimester but I thought I would use an O code for the htn. But that ask you to use a Z3A code. So please correct me since I cant use the Z3A code the only O code will be the miscarriage ? preexisting Htn in pregnancy I thought coded to 010.012? But the miscarriage makes the other O codes go away? Thank you

You are correct.
O10.012 - Pre-existing essential hypertension complicating pregnancy, second trimester

I feel you can use the above code and code for the miscarriage. It is alright to leave off the Z3A. The thought process I believe here is that at time of miscarriage there is no longer a gestation.

Recap: At time of visit for miscarriage code the O10.012 but after that it would revert to I10.

You are correct.
O10.012 - Pre-existing essential hypertension complicating pregnancy, second trimester

I feel you can use the above code and code for the miscarriage. It is alright to leave off the Z3A. The thought process I believe here is that at time of miscarriage there is no longer a gestation.

Recap: At time of visit for miscarriage code the O10.012 but after that it would revert to I10.
Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back