• Register to Access the Free Forums and 3 Free CEUs!

To view the content for the 3 free CEUs, please sign up today.

CLICK HERE TO REGISTER
  • Missing Access To A Course, Blitz or Exam? Have Technical Issues? Open a Help Desk Ticket
    Please Do Not Post in the Community About Access or Technical Issues
    CCO Business Hours for Help Desk and Coaching: Mon-Fri 9am-4pm Eastern

Resolved MEAT

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeniseR_59856

During the MEAT webinar, Alicia noted that if the patient is on a med for like hypertension and hypertension is listed in the PMH you can code the hypertension. Am I understanding this correctly? I thought the provider would have to indicated that the condition is stable on the med etc.? Some type of monitoring or assessment of the condition before we would be able to code? Please clarify! Thank you, Denise Klamath Falls

During the MEAT webinar, Alicia noted that if the patient is on a med for like hypertension and hypertension is listed in the PMH you can code the hypertension. Am I understanding this correctly? I thought the provider would have to indicated that the condition is stable on the med etc.? Some type of monitoring or assessment of the condition before we would be able to code? Please clarify! Thank you, Denise Klamath Falls
It depends on the client guidelines regarding capturing conditions from the past medical history/problem list and using medication from the med list as MEAT for a condition. If the client were to have hypertension as one of their chronic conditions they want captured and also have the guidelines of using a medication from the medication list as MEAT, then yes you would be able to capture hypertension from the PMH/PL using a HTN med from the med list as MEAT. Then you can have a client who has HTN as a chronic condition but does not approve of using a HTN med from the med list and wants the condition addressed during the DOS, so again it really depends on what the client guidelines are regarding capturing conditions from the PMH/PL section(s) and using the medication list.

Do you know where can I find CMS chronic lifelong conditions list that allows certain conditions to be reported without MEAT?

Do you know where can I find CMS chronic lifelong conditions list that allows certain conditions to be reported without MEAT?
The CMS 2008 participant Guide, what a lot of clients refer to as the Chronic 8s, outlines some conditions where documentation is not required however is preferred (Diabetes, CHF, atrial fib, COPD, multiple sclerosis, hemiplegia, rheumatoid arthritis and Parkinson’s Disease). However, each company and client are different with their guidelines and may want MEAT for these conditions so you will need to refer to your client specified guidelines to determine if these conditions require MEAT or not. For instance, a company I work for one client’s guidelines for chronic conditions that did not require MEAT none of these conditions were included in their list and then another client had these 8 conditions plus an additional 7 more conditions that did not require MEAT, so please refer to your client guidelines. The CMS 2008 participant Guide can be found here: https://www.csscoperations.com/Inte...df/$File/participant-guide-publish_052909.pdf

T
The CMS 2008 participant Guide, what a lot of clients refer to as the Chronic 8s, outlines some conditions where documentation is not required
The CMS 2008 participant Guide, what a lot of clients refer to as the Chronic 8s, outlines some conditions where documentation is not required however is preferred (Diabetes, CHF, atrial fib, COPD, multiple sclerosis, hemiplegia, rheumatoid arthritis and Parkinson’s Disease). However, each company and client are different with their guidelines and may want MEAT for these conditions so you will need to refer to your client specified guidelines to determine if these conditions require MEAT or not. For instance, a company I work for one client’s guidelines for chronic conditions that did not require MEAT none of these conditions were included in their list and then another client had these 8 conditions plus an additional 7 more conditions that did not require MEAT, so please refer to your client guidelines. The CMS 2008 participant Guide can be found here: https://www.csscoperations.com/Inte...df/$File/participant-guide-publish_052909.pdf

however is preferred (Diabetes, CHF, atrial fib, COPD, multiple sclerosis, hemiplegia, rheumatoid arthritis and Parkinson’s Disease). However, each company and client are different with their guidelines and may want MEAT for these conditions so you will need to refer to your client specified guidelines to determine if these conditions require MEAT or not. For instance, a company I work for one client’s guidelines for chronic conditions that did not require MEAT none of these conditions were included in their list and then another client had these 8 conditions plus an additional 7 more conditions that did not require MEAT, so please refer to your client guidelines. The CMS 2008 participant Guide can be found here: https://www.csscoperations.com/Inte...df/$File/participant-guide-publish_052909.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back