• Register to Access the Free Forums and 3 Free CEUs!

To view the content for the 3 free CEUs, please sign up today.

CLICK HERE TO REGISTER
  • Missing Access To A Course, Blitz or Exam? Have Technical Issues? Open a Help Desk Ticket
    Please Do Not Post in the Community About Access or Technical Issues
    CCO Business Hours for Help Desk and Coaching: Mon-Fri 9am-4pm Eastern

Resolved Internet hookup for work-from-home positions

PaulD_81673

Hello All,

I keep hearing about how some companies require you to have a wired Internet connection (i.e., ethernet cable directly hooked up between your computer and modem/router) instead of wireless. I understand why this is, but how would they be able to find out if you're actually using a wired or wireless access method? Does anybody here use wireless anyway and they've been fine?

Regarding how they can tell if you are using a wired or wireless connection, this can be determined through the network connection settings on your computer. However, this is not always checked, and if you are using a wireless connection, it probably won't cause a problem. I myself use a wireless connection and I am fine. However, if you are having connection problems, try switching to a wired connection and see if the problems correct themselves.

What kind of internet do I need to work from home?​

It really depends on the employer & some will provide equipment & some do not.

Can your employer tell which internet connection you are using (WiFi or Ethernet) when connected to a Global Protect VPN?

Short answer is yes. Long answer it doesn’t really matter because those are the physical means of transmitting data and the VPN is usually a virtual adapter that will secure whichever connection is used to connect to the service. Once connected, there are two options: all traffic goes over a single connection and split-tunneling. In the first scenario, all traffic, no matter what will traverse the VPN network. In split tunneling, any traffic not destined for the VPN connection (like to your workplace) will use any other device that is able to route that traffic to the correct destination.

Unless they have a very basic network they can see which devices are connected wirelessly and which are wired in. Whether you use a VPN or not your device still is visible on the local network the same. The VPN doesn’t change or hide your local IP address, it doesn’t change or hide your MAC address, if you are connected to a network your device is visible on the network.

The firewall or Prisma access can tell what your connection is from the GP client. They can also see down the link via ADEM and see if the WIFI or Eth is having any issues hop by hop.

More than likely, your current internet plan will allow you to work from home without too many hiccups, but if you’re searching for a new ISP, you’ll want to look for reliably fast download and upload speeds and at least one terabyte (TB) of data per month.
  • Download speeds: Download speeds reflect how quickly you can access things online. Faster download speeds will load your websites, Netflix movies, and work email more quickly.
  • Upload speeds: Upload speeds tell you how quickly you can put things on the internet. Faster upload speeds will not only get that PDF attached to your email in a jiffy but also keep your beautiful smile looking picture-perfect during your Zoom call.
  • Data: Everything you do online uses data, with streaming and downloading large files typically using up the most data overall. Most internet providers allow you to use at least one TB of data each month—but some offer the holy grail of unlimited data.
Here’s a quick look at some general recommendations for how fast your download and upload speeds should be for different work apps.
Recommended download and upload speeds for work from home apps
AppRecommended download speedRecommended upload speed
Zoom11.2–3 Mbps1.2–3 Mbps
Slack2200 Kbps–4 Mbps100 Kbps–600 Kbps
Skype330 Kbps–8 Mbps30 Kbps–1.5 Mbps
Cisco Webex40.5–2.5 Mbps0.5–3 Mbps
Google Hangouts Meet518 Kbps–3.2 Mbps12 Kbps–3.2 Mbps
As you can see, those speeds aren’t anywhere near the 100, 200, or even 1,000 Mbps some internet plans offer. But if you’re working from home while your partner, roommate, or kids are using the internet, too, you’ll want more speed to ensure everyone stays connected and happy.
Not sure whether your current internet plan can handle your entire household getting online at the same time? We recommend checking what your actual download speed is with a speed test. If you’re paying for speeds that are much faster than what the speed test says your download speed is, it might be time to call your ISP or search for a new provider.

Not everyone has hard-wired DSL or Cable internet service.

I know it can be really frustrating if you live in a very rural area and you’re wanting to work from home. Since DSL and Cable in rural areas don’t exist, the only option for internet service is satellite, Wi-Fi, or a mobile hotspot with a mobile phone carrier.

Almost every company that hires employees to work from home doing any type of customer service or technical support job requires hard-wired internet for security purposes.

In most cases, a wired or ethernet connection is recommended (instead of Wi-Fi) because of the stability and speed it offers.

We recommend a minimum of 50 to 100 Mbps download speeds for working from home, and at least 10 Mbps upload speeds if you upload large files to the internet.

Back