• Register to Access the Free Forums and 3 Free CEUs!

To view the content for the 3 free CEUs, please sign up today.

CLICK HERE TO REGISTER
  • Missing Access To A Course, Blitz or Exam? Have Technical Issues? Open a Help Desk Ticket
    Please Do Not Post in the Community About Access or Technical Issues
    CCO Business Hours for Help Desk and Coaching: Mon-Fri 9am-4pm Eastern

Resolved Home Health Coding

SarahK_58488

CCO Club Member
BHAT® Cave
RAC Course
ICD-10-CM Blitz
Risk Adjustment Blitz
Hello All,
I am coding for home health, if the referral from the provider does not have a definitive dx, are we able to look at the therapy notes and code the dx the therapist has determined? My understanding is that they would be an approved clinician and ok to glean a dx from, even if that dx is not included in the referral documents from the referring provider. I guess what I am asking is what are the appropriate documents that I can obtain a primary and secondary dx from, if ony weakness or gait instability come over on the referral and reason for visit? Thank you in advance!

Therapy is approved. You are looking for the reason for the weakness or gait instability in the note. MSN is also approved providers.

Hello All,
I am coding for home health, if the referral from the provider does not have a definitive dx, are we able to look at the therapy notes and code the dx the therapist has determined? My understanding is that they would be an approved clinician and ok to glean a dx from, even if that dx is not included in the referral documents from the referring provider. I guess what I am asking is what are the appropriate documents that I can obtain a primary and secondary dx from, if ony weakness or gait instability come over on the referral and reason for visit? Thank you in advance!
What is the referral specifically for?

Therapy is approved. You are looking for the reason for the weakness or gait instability in the note. MSN is also approved providers.
Perfect, so if it is not clear on the referral and initial encounter documents. I can look at therapy notes to determine the reason, and use what they have selected for the primary. Am I understanding that correctly?

Assessment - Physical Therapy: PT is a 71 y/o male admitted with acute encep, naus/vom. Pt hx of Parkinsons. Pt is limited by Parkinson rigidity, le weakness, confusion improved. Pt will benefit with continued skilled therapy to improve mobility and safety. Recommen HHPT.

In this case the primary would be the enceph or the parkinsons/le weakness?

Thank you all so much for your review, that was really helpful!

Back