• Register to Access the Free Forums and 3 Free CEUs!

To view the content for the 3 free CEUs, please sign up today.

CLICK HERE TO REGISTER
  • Missing Access To A Course, Blitz or Exam? Have Technical Issues? Open a Help Desk Ticket
    Please Do Not Post in the Community About Access or Technical Issues
    CCO Business Hours for Help Desk and Coaching: Mon-Fri 9am-4pm Eastern

HCC Coding Text Answer Page 465 (Topic Of Dementia)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CCO_Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Donna Garrett asked:

Pt had a UTI and was disoriented. Answer sheet coded for the disorientation R41.0. Since confusion and disorientation is a symptom of UTI; especially in the elderly; I thought that should not be coded. Will you please clarify? Thanks

Same item; different question. Pt with UTI and K pn. Answer page sequenced K pn B96.1 first followed by UTI N39.0 2019 ICD-10; under UTI N39.0 says "use additional code to identify infectious agent." So wouldn"t "additional code" not be sequenced first? Wouldn"t UTI be sequenced first?

Thanks DonnaG

Answer:

Schuyler Connell wrote: please indicate where these questions are coming from? I agree with you on the second question in that UTI should be sequenced first followed by the bacteria or virus causing the UTI (if known).

Donna Garrett wrote: These questions are coming from the text CCO ordered for this class; Risk Adjustment Documentation and Coding.by Bernard. You have answered the second part of the question about sequencing; which that is what I thought because the ICD-10 says to do so. The first part of my question refers to the answer page 465 (topic of dementia). The assignment if Abstract and Code it page 147; Patient 3. Pt has been disoriented and confused for 3 days. Then goes on to dx UTI. I did not code for the confusion and disorientation. because that is a symptom of UTI in the elderly. But the answer in our text; page 465 does code for disorientation. It it true that this should be coded in view of it is a symptom of UTI? Thanks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back