• Register to Access the Free Forums and 3 Free CEUs!

To view the content for the 3 free CEUs, please sign up today.

CLICK HERE TO REGISTER
  • Missing Access To A Course, Blitz or Exam? Have Technical Issues? Open a Help Desk Ticket
    Please Do Not Post in the Community About Access or Technical Issues
    CCO Business Hours for Help Desk and Coaching: Mon-Fri 9am-4pm Eastern

HCC Coding Study; Text Book Page 151 Patient 2; Question Code And Obesity

Status
Not open for further replies.

CCO_Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Donna Garrett asked:

Pt has"morbid obesity; BMI 46." Doctor offered to refer him to bariatric. Answer page codes this as E66.01. The doctor did not say "excessive calories." I thought we were not supposed to code "excessive calories" unless specified. Or maybe it is assumed excessive calories because of referral to bariatric. But I thought we were not supposed to assume anything. I coded it as E66.8 Other obesity because it was specified as morbid obesity. Please clarify this for me and thank you.

Answer:

Hi Donna;

Thank you for your question. I can see where you are coming from in your approach. However; when you look for morbid obesity via the alphabetical index it shows the following:

obesity

morbid - E66.01

with

alveolar hypo-ventilation - E66.2

obesity hypo-ventilation syndrome (OHS) - E66.2

due to excess calories - E66.01

As you can see; both morbid obesity (unspecified) and morbid obesity due to excess calories are coded to the same way. If you look at clinical indications of morbid obesity; one will see that is due to excess caloric intake. Your body uses calories energy (e.g.; daily activities and exercise). When calories are not use; the body stores it as fat; therefore; one has an excess of calories.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back