• Register to Access the Free Forums and 3 Free CEUs!

To view the content for the 3 free CEUs, please sign up today.

CLICK HERE TO REGISTER
  • Missing Access To A Course, Blitz or Exam? Have Technical Issues? Open a Help Desk Ticket
    Please Do Not Post in the Community About Access or Technical Issues
    CCO Business Hours for Help Desk and Coaching: Mon-Fri 9am-4pm Eastern

Resolved Gall bladder Remnant removal

ErnaV_2250

CCO Club Member
BHAT® Cave
Good day

Please can I ask assistance, The physician wrote "laparoscopic gallbladder remnant removal" From what I read it is referred to as completions cholecystectomy. Do you think this should be coded as 47562-76-52 or as an unlisted procedure as I cannot find a code specifically referencing 'remnant' ?

Thanks
Erna

Good day

Please can I ask assistance, The physician wrote "laparoscopic gallbladder remnant removal" From what I read it is referred to as completions cholecystectomy. Do you think this should be coded as 47562-76-52 or as an unlisted procedure as I cannot find a code specifically referencing 'remnant' ?

Thanks
Erna
Cholecystectomy

th

Explore

The procedure you’re referring to, “laparoscopic gallbladder remnant removal,” is indeed related to the completion of a cholecystectomy. Let’s break it down:
  1. Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy (LC): This is the standard procedure for removing the gallbladder using minimally invasive techniques. During LC, four small incisions are made in the abdomen, and laparoscopic instruments are used to remove the gallbladder. The relevant CPT® codes for LC include:
  2. Remnant Removal:
    • When a cholecystectomy is performed, sometimes a small portion of the gallbladder (the remnant) may inadvertently remain. In such cases, a subsequent procedure is needed to remove this remnant.
    • Unfortunately, there isn’t a specific CPT code that explicitly mentions “remnant removal.” However, we can approach this situation as follows:
      • Use the appropriate cholecystectomy code (e.g., 47562, 47563, or 47564) based on the specifics of the procedure.
      • Append the modifier -52 (Reduced Services) to indicate that the procedure was less extensive than usual due to the remnant removal.
      • If necessary, you can also use an unlisted procedure code (e.g., 47999) to describe the unique circumstances of the remnant removal.
In summary, consider coding the procedure as 47562-52 (laparoscopic cholecystectomy with reduced services due to remnant removal). Always consult with your local coding guidelines and payer policies to ensure accurate coding and reimbursement.

Back