• Register to Access the Free Forums and 3 Free CEUs!

To view the content for the 3 free CEUs, please sign up today.

CLICK HERE TO REGISTER
  • Missing Access To A Course, Blitz or Exam? Have Technical Issues? Open a Help Desk Ticket
    Please Do Not Post in the Community About Access or Technical Issues
    CCO Business Hours for Help Desk and Coaching: Mon-Fri 9am-4pm Eastern

ERCP With ES And Stone Removal

Status
Not open for further replies.

CCO_Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Laura P asked:

I recently began billing for a gastroenterology practice. They have been billing cpt code 43264 ERCP w/ removal of calculus and cpt 43262 ERCP w/ sphincterotomy. They have been appending a 59 modifier on the 43262. I think this is unnecessary; per CCI edits. I am thinking a modifier is unnecessary; however the 43262 may be subject to the multiple procedures policy. Can someone tell me if I am correct? following op report:

Procedure: ERCP with ES and stone removal

Indications: Choledocholithiasis seen on CT; elevated liver enzymes and bilirubin; cholelithiasis

The endoscope was passed under direct vision. The endoscope was introduced through the mouth; and advanced to the duodenum and used to inject contrast into the bile duct and ventral pancreatic duct. The physical status of the patient was reassessed after the procedure. The ERCP was accomplished without difficulty. The patient tolerated the procedure well.

Findings:

2 stones in the common bile duct; status post ES and balloon dragging a successful removal.

Patent cystic duct.

Mild prominence of intra and extra hepatic bile ducts

Impression:

Procedure: ERCP with ES and stone removal. No stent placed.

I was thinking

with no modifiers. OR should it be 43277?

Is this op report rather incomplete? No description of the Sphincterotomy other than ES

Answer:

If you read the parenthetical notes under 43262; you will see you may code 43264. You are correct. you do not need modifier 59. It will be subject to the multiple procedure policy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back