• Register to Access the Free Forums and 3 Free CEUs!

To view the content for the 3 free CEUs, please sign up today.

CLICK HERE TO REGISTER
  • Missing Access To A Course, Blitz or Exam? Have Technical Issues? Open a Help Desk Ticket
    Please Do Not Post in the Community About Access or Technical Issues
    CCO Business Hours for Help Desk and Coaching: Mon-Fri 9am-4pm Eastern

Emergency Department Coding

Status
Not open for further replies.

CCO_Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Tameka Duncan asked:

Good Afternoon; I was wondering if someone could help me understand how to code ER Visits for a Dr. that was called in by the ER doctor.

For example; If ER doctor called in MD for a consult; MD saw pt.; gave opinion and ER Doctor made decison to send pt. home or admit.

**OR** if ER doctor called in MD for an opinion (missed AB) and MD saw pt; discharged pt. and then had them come into MD office the following morning.

**OR** if ER docotr called in MD for opinion; MD saw pt and then decided to DC home.

Also; are MDs allowed to use ER visit codes or should they use 99205-99215 codes with POS 23?

I know Medicare has it is own set of rules when it comes to consultations; but I guess my question is mainly for commercial payors and if you can address Medicare I would appreciate that too.

Answer:

You would use ER codes 99281-99285 with POS 23. This is pretty standard for the majority of payers including Medicare. There are a handful of payers who still pay for consult codes 99241-99245 but you would have to check the payer site for confirmation.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back