• Register to Access the Free Forums and 3 Free CEUs!

To view the content for the 3 free CEUs, please sign up today.

CLICK HERE TO REGISTER
  • Missing Access To A Course, Blitz or Exam? Have Technical Issues? Open a Help Desk Ticket
    Please Do Not Post in the Community About Access or Technical Issues
    CCO Business Hours for Help Desk and Coaching: Mon-Fri 9am-4pm Eastern

Craniotomy

Status
Not open for further replies.

CCO_Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Virginia Lydigsen asked:

Reopening craniotomy incision with wound debridement and removal of bone cement mesh; complex wound closure.

I was thinking of 62142 removal of bone flap but does not seem to include removal of mesh.

Also; 61567 craniotomy with treatment of penetrating wound of brain (for wound infection?)

Duragen placed over exposed brain.

Dx- wound infection. Not sure on ICD-10 code. Cranioplasty listed on 12/19/2014. Was thinking T81.4XXA wound following a procedure but do not have actual date. Or S01.00XA unspecified open wound of scalp.

Answer:

Reopening craniotomy incision with wound debridement and removal of bone cement mesh; complex wound closure.

I was thinking of 62142 removal of bone flap but does not seem to include removal of mesh. **_The first thing I would find out is if the mesh is a regular part of the original procedure. Do they always put in this mesh? If so then it is most likely included in the removal code. _**

Also; 61567 craniotomy with treatment of penetrating wound of brain (for wound infection?) **_This also sounds like a result of a complication and or sequela. _**

Duragen placed over exposed brain. _**Duragen is a type of collagen graft that is placed to give stability in neurosurgery. Look for a HCPCS code. **_

Dx- wound infection. Not sure on ICD-10 code. Cranioplasty listed on 12/19/2014. Was thinking T81.4XXA wound following a procedure but do not have actual date. Or S01.00XA unspecified open wound of scalp. _**Can be tricky here. You have an infection which is a complication it sounds like. I think you need more information. There is no indication of where the infection came from? No HPI ect? Is this a straight op report? If you have the report and can redact it that would be really helpful.**_

_**
**_

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back