• Register to Access the Free Forums and 3 Free CEUs!

To view the content for the 3 free CEUs, please sign up today.

CLICK HERE TO REGISTER
  • Missing Access To A Course, Blitz or Exam? Have Technical Issues? Open a Help Desk Ticket
    Please Do Not Post in the Community About Access or Technical Issues
    CCO Business Hours for Help Desk and Coaching: Mon-Fri 9am-4pm Eastern

Resolved CPT 69990

AngieC_37503

Hi, has anyone billed CPT 69990? I have a physician who is trying to bill this with 92504 in office. I cannot find a lot of info on this code. Thanks!

Here are some key details about CPT code 69990:

• Code: 69990
  • Description: Microsurgery under operating microscope (List separately in addition to code for primary procedure)
  • Category: Surgery
  • Body System: Nervous System

- This is an add-on code that should be billed in conjunction with another primary procedure code to indicate that the primary procedure was performed using an operating microscope.

- It should not be billed as a stand-alone code. Some examples of primary procedures this could be billed with include laminectomy, nerve repair, or tumor removal from the brain or spine.

- This is a facility pricing (technical component) code only. The physician work (professional component) is not billable separately.

- There are no RVUs associated with 69990 since it is an add-on code. Reimbursement would be a percentage of the primary procedure payment.

- Use of an operating microscope requires specialized skill and equipment, so this add-on code provides extra payment to the facility to cover the additional costs.

- Documentation should clearly state that the primary procedure was performed under an operating microscope for 69990 to be supported.

Let me know if you need any other details on this CPT code!

Here are some key details on CPT code 92504:

• Code: 92504
  • Description: Binocular microscopy (separate diagnostic procedure)
  • Category: Diagnostic Ophthalmology
  • Body System: Eyes and Ocular Adnexa

- This code is for the diagnostic examination of ocular tissue under a binocular microscope.

- It is typically used to examine corneal scrapings for presence of fungi or bacteria causing infections like blepharitis or keratitis.

- It may also be used to examine iris tissue, conjunctival scrapings, or excised chalazion material.

- 92504 is not used for slit lamp exams (92020) or operating microscope exams during surgery (69990).

- This is a professional component code only - the physician work of examining the slide(s) under the microscope.

- No facility resources are included in 92504.

- Typical reimbursement is 0.65 RVUs or around $45.

- Documentation should specify the tissue/material examined under binocular microscopy and findings.

Let me know if you need any clarification or have additional questions!

Back