• Register to Access the Free Forums and 3 Free CEUs!

To view the content for the 3 free CEUs, please sign up today.

CLICK HERE TO REGISTER
  • Missing Access To A Course, Blitz or Exam? Have Technical Issues? Open a Help Desk Ticket
    Please Do Not Post in the Community About Access or Technical Issues
    CCO Business Hours for Help Desk and Coaching: Mon-Fri 9am-4pm Eastern

Resolved CPC Exam question

HayleyM_81192

Free CPC Exam
CPC Exam (Ruby)
Hello! I am taking the CPC exam on Monday! I am so nervous! I have done 4 practice tests through the AAPC and averaged about an 80. I am doing the test online at home. Does anyone know if the software that you take the test with has a "highlighter." I found that when I can highlight keywords I do better.
Thanks!

The online CPC exam has a place where you can take notes but no highlighting that I am aware of.

CCO has some free practice exams & other helpful free tools available here.

Please note: the CPC exam is now 4 hours in length with 100 questions with 10 at the end being cases.
This Abstracting the Basis of Coding Job Aid tool helps medical coders properly code charts by following a sequence of systematic steps and checklists.
If you’re new to medical coding and need help coding charts, then this free download will help out immensely.

I don't think you will have time to do Blitz but should you not pass perhaps this can help but hopefully you pass as you can not reschedule as you have to do so 21 days in advance unfortunately.

What does Blitz teach?
This is both a review of the subject matter and a guide to doing well on the exam. You will not only have an exhaustive review of all the various diagnostic and therapeutic procedures covered on the exam, but the program will also demonstrate ways to go through the process of taking the exam in the most efficient manner, making the best use of the time allowed. Since this is an open-book exam, the program teaches you my proprietary BHAT®️ stands for "Bubble, Highlight and Annotate Technique". This technique demonstrates how to mark and highlight your coding manual to make it easier to choose the correct answer of the choices given for any question on the exam. You’ll see how to best manage some questions you might find more difficult than others.
Medical Coding Review Blitz Contents
  • Each video is between 20 – 60 minutes in length
  • Enough to completely cover each section while at the same time allowing you to take breaks between sessions covering a specific topic.
  • You can then go on to the next topic or play the last video again.
  • Each section refers to your CPT® manual so you can follow along and see how to best use your book during the exam. After all it is an open book exam. You’ll be able to find the codes you need in the shortest time.
  • Proprietary BHAT® Technique: how to mark and highlight your CPT® and ICD coding manual to make it easier to choose the correct answer of the choices given for any question on the exam.
  • A complete, comprehensive review of what is covered on the CPC® exam: an exhaustive review of all the various diagnostic and therapeutic procedures covered on the exam.
  • A guide to doing well on the exam: the program will also demonstrate ways to go through the process of taking the exam in the most efficient manner, making best use of the time allowed.
  • How to best manage some questions you might find more difficult than others.
  • How you can look up codes during your exam relating to diagnoses and procedures in the most efficient manner.
  • How to take the exam: the mindset needed to not focus on the ‘little things” but focus on the important of coding guidelines.
~ They prepare you to pass the medical coding certification exam ON THE FIRST TRY
~ They teach you our proprietary BHAT®️ method to help you use your manuals during the test – and after during your daily coding work
~ Watching online videos are cheaper and less stressful than attending live events
~ They help increase your confidence about passing the CPC®️ exam
~ You can fit watching the videos into your own schedule
~ Easier to digest/take in the information on video than at a live event
~ You can pause the videos to take notes
~ You can rewatch the videos in the areas you need to work on
~ If it’s a medical coding area that you feel comfortable with, you can skip it and save time studying
~ You can spend more time studying problem areas
~ You can get started NOW with instant access to the online videos!
https://www.cco.us/medical-coding-certification-cpc-review-blitz/ on sale now!

CCO Proven Process:
http://www.cco.us/cco-proven-process/

Exam tip thread in CCO Community
https://www.cco.community/threads/cpc-exam-tips.5274/

Student Exam Tips in CCO Community:
https://www.cco.community/forums/test-taking-tips.71/

We have paid Practice Exams available at https://www.cco.us/ under the Practice Exam menu item.

FREE resources:
https://www.cco.community/forums/free-resources/

GOOD LUCK!

I didn't see a highlighter but I was trying to use as much time as possible for the test. I wish there was a way to look at the software ahead of time just to get familiar with the features.

I didn't see a highlighter but I was trying to use as much time as possible for the test. I wish there was a way to look at the software ahead of time just to get familiar with the features.

Tips for Taking an AAPC Electronic Certification Exam​

Preparing For Your Exam

• Download the My AAPC app from your app store. Once you log in with your aapc.com username and password, the app will have the most up-to-date information on your exam along with an exam tracker to give you real-time updates on the status of your exam results.
  • Verify the start time and locate your examination instructions.
  • Make sure your internet is reliable and your computer has access to a power source. We strongly recommend that you test your system here prior to taking the exam.
  • Prepare your external webcam (you will be required to show your face, hands, and keyboard, 10 inches surrounding your keyboard, and perform a 360-degree room and desk pan). Be sure your room is clear of all prohibited items.
  • Confirm what exam materials are allowed during the examination. Gather these items several days prior to the examination (Be sure your government-issued ID name matches your first and last name exactly as they appear on your exam confirmation.)
  • Most examinees have found that they perform better after a good night of sleep. We believe a late evening study session the night before your exam is not very useful.
  • Eat a healthy breakfast (nothing too heavy) and prepare a drink of water to keep you energized during the exam.
  • Successful examinees have well-thumbed code books. Become familiar with all parts of your CPT, ICD-10 and HCPCS code books. Learn how to quickly locate the codes, guidelines, tables, and instructions within them. This may be the most important tip we can give you. Please review what is allowed in your books here.
  • Please review this video showing the electronic exam steps and system.

What To Do During The Test​

• Follow the instructions from the proctor carefully, including the room scan and webcam setup.
  • The electronic exam has a built-in timer. Be aware of your progress. Remember to pace yourself. Stay relaxed and do not panic. You will be able to finish.
  • You are able to flag questions to return to them throughout the test. Answer the easiest, shortest questions first – this gives you the experience of succeeding and stimulates associations.
  • Read each question carefully. Note such words in the question as "not, except, most, least and greatest." These words are often crucial in determining the correct answer. However, there are no "trick" questions on the exam, so don't worry about hidden words or meanings.
  • Answer every question. If you do not know the right answer, eliminate as many wrong answers as possible, then select among the remaining answers. If you don't have a clue – guess. A guess is better than a blank response.
  • If you finish with some additional time, use that time to go back and review any questions you flagged or were not fully sure you had the correct answer. Use the code books again to confirm. Once you submit your exam you will not be able to return to the questions.

Back