• Register to Access the Free Forums and 3 Free CEUs!

To view the content for the 3 free CEUs, please sign up today.

CLICK HERE TO REGISTER
  • Missing Access To A Course, Blitz or Exam? Have Technical Issues? Open a Help Desk Ticket
    Please Do Not Post in the Community About Access or Technical Issues
    CCO Business Hours for Help Desk and Coaching: Mon-Fri 9am-4pm Eastern

Resolved Coding Question - 99244 vs 99214

Status
Not open for further replies.

CCO_Bot

Automated Robot
Staff member
QUESTION:

Kim Friend:

Can anyone help me with this issue? I work for a Pulmonary/Sleep Study doctor. The doctor reads a sleep study and codes a 95811-26. He may then see the patient and code the visit as a 99244 as this is a new patient to him. I am being told by one source that I need to change the visit to a 99214 because the patient is considered established because he "read" the report. Another source tells me that is incorrect and I should bill the 99244.

What is the most correct way to code this scenario?

ANSWER THREAD:

Laureen:

99244 is a consult code so does the documentation support a request for an opinion and a report back to the requesting physician of that opinion?

Kim Friend:
99244 is a consult code so does the documentation support a request for opinion and a report back to the requesting physician of that opinion?
It does. So if Doctor wants to charge the 99244 we should send notes along with charge?

Laureen:
No you don't have to send documentation unless requested. It's just our job as coders to make sure "what is reported can be supported" :) Often physician say it is a consult when the documentation doesn't support it. So we have to do physician education to protect them in case of an audit and to prevent them from commiting fraud - even if "by accident".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back