• Register to Access the Free Forums and 3 Free CEUs!

To view the content for the 3 free CEUs, please sign up today.

CLICK HERE TO REGISTER
  • Missing Access To A Course, Blitz or Exam? Have Technical Issues? Open a Help Desk Ticket
    Please Do Not Post in the Community About Access or Technical Issues
    CCO Business Hours for Help Desk and Coaching: Mon-Fri 9am-4pm Eastern

Resolved Buck's Simulated Internship Question for CCO Staff

Status
Not open for further replies.
I took the MTA and PBC courses through CCO and passed my CPC exam in November 2020. Yay! I'm now interning for CCO and am grateful for the opportunity to stay aware of coding terms, etc as I look for my first coding job. I also bought access to Buck's simulated internship and am disheartened, because I'm not coding their reports well. QUESTION: Does CCO offer the opportunity to purchase coaching sessions? I've been watching videos on You Tube and trying to do research, but there are just (answer) codes in the simulated internship reports that don't make sense to me. If I could bounce my thoughts off a knowledgeable coder, I think it would be helpful. TIA!

Yes CCO has this:

Personal Coaching with a Coach or SME​

CCO offers the CCO Community as a primary source of support. However, if you're feeling like you need more one-on-one help, we do have consulting packages available.
https://www.cco.us/one-on-one-personal-coaching

Lori--
Can I copy a report from the simulated internship into the Free Forum or CCO Club and ask my questions about it?

Hi Angela! This is a tricky question because the copyright for those questions belongs to Elsevier. I'm going to send an email to our rep and see if she'll allow a few to be posted for discussion.

I took the MTA and PBC courses through CCO and passed my CPC exam in November 2020. Yay! I'm now interning for CCO and am grateful for the opportunity to stay aware of coding terms, etc as I look for my first coding job. I also bought access to Buck's simulated internship and am disheartened, because I'm not coding their reports well. QUESTION: Does CCO offer the opportunity to purchase coaching sessions? I've been watching videos on You Tube and trying to do research, but there are just (answer) codes in the simulated internship reports that don't make sense to me. If I could bounce my thoughts off a knowledgeable coder, I think it would be helpful. TIA!
Congrats on passing the CPC! CCO is awesome! I know you will enjoy the internship. Good luck to you in your career!

No problem. As soon as I get a response, I'll post here.

By the way, how are you enjoying the product? What is it like inside? It seems to be somewhat mysterious and a review would be quite welcome for other students that may be interested.
I've only had it for a few days, but I'll plan on doing a more complete review after I've worked on it for a little while. I'm not doing a great job coding the reports, so I'm a little panicked at this point! lol!

The layout is great and easy to navigate. You code and submit your codes and then the answer codes ("staff codes") are revealed. You get a percentage score on how well you did based on your chosen codes and finding the primary dx code. You lose points if you include additional codes that don't need to be there. The software keeps a history for each medical report you code, so you can try coding it again (and again) at a later time and still go back and look at your previous attempts. A feature is that you can create a portfolio of coded reports, which you can then make available to potential employers. I haven't attempted to do that yet, but I know you are supposed to have control over which reports go into your portfolio and can be seen by employers.

I've had some trouble with the rationales. Several haven't seemed complete to me. I'm sure that is because of my own lack of experience or knowledge at this point. The rationales are the reason I'm looking for coaching and discussion with more knowledgeable coders so...

In short, I like it. It's frustrating me right now, but I can already see that it will boost my confidence in an interview and I'm looking forward to having a portfolio of work to show employers. It's pricey at $110, but if it helps me land a job sooner rather than later, it's worth it.

I'll touch base again after I've worked in the program longer. Thanks and stay warm!

I will be starting that simulation package soon. It came with my text book/workbook combo.

I find that most of the rationales are incomplete in the text and workbook, too. They usually just give the answer and not much rationale to help me redirect my problem-solving approach. If you find any good help/coach, please let me know. I have looked in several places and still need someone to "talk then through" with me so that I can correct my mistakes.

I will be starting that simulation package soon. It came with my text book/workbook combo.

I find that most of the rationales are incomplete in the text and workbook, too. They usually just give the answer and not much rationale to help me redirect my problem-solving approach. If you find any good help/coach, please let me know. I have looked in several places and still need someone to "talk then through" with me so that I can correct my mistakes.
Will do! Please let us know what you think when you get into it too. I'm so curious to hear what others think about it. I totally hear you on the rationales with the books. I think they're a little better in the software, but, as you pointed out, the problem is having somewhere to go with questions when the rationales don't cut it. Fingers crossed we both can get that figured out! :cool:

Angela, here is the official answer from Elsevier:

From the team: They are okay with the student sharing their problems in a private forum with the instructor only to help guide them through the process. They cannot share in a program-wide forum or anywhere any other students can access and see, as we need to ensure we are protecting our content.

So you can post your question inside the PBC Private Coaching Area and we'll be able to assist the best we can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back